He is Professor in Computer Science at the University of Padua, and Research Scientist at MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) in the World Wide Web Consortium.
He was the creator of HyperSearch, a search engine where the results were based not only on single page ranks, but on the relationship between single pages and the rest of the Web. Afterwards, Google co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin cited HyperSearch when they introduced PageRank.
Initiator of the Query Languages effort at W3C (see for instance QL'98), he started the XML-Query project, deemed to develop the corresponding world standard for querying XML (XQuery), finally providing the due integration between the Web and the database world.
He was the creator of the social search engine Volunia, launched on February 2012. On the 8th of June 2012 Marchiori announced, with an open letter, that he had been excluded from the CTO position in the company "because someone else wants to do it instead of me. This person wants to decide everything, without me. And so, he put himself into my shoes, commanding me to step aside".
- "TR35: Massimo Marchiori, 34". Technology Review. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- Page, Lawrence and Brin, Sergey and Motwani, Rajeev and Winograd, Terry (January 29, 1998). "The PageRank Citation Ranking: Bringing Order to the Web." (PDF). Stanford University. Retrieved May 12, 2011.
- Biography page at UniPD
- QL'98 - Query Languages 1998
- "About AC | Atomium Culture". Atomiumculture.eu. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- Giovanni Caprara (2009-12-24). "Volunia, Italy’s Answer to Google - Corriere della Sera". Corriere.it. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Volunia, A Social Search Engine, Invites Public To Kick The Tires". Searchengineland.com. 2012-02-07. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Why do I leave Volunia?". Math.unipd.it. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- Di Alessia Manfredi. "L'amaro addio di Marchiori a Volunia "Qualcuno vuole decidere senza di me"". Repubblica.it. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- Martina Pennisi. "C'è baruffa su Volunia, l'anti-Google italiano. Il fondatore: «Mi hanno fatto fuori»". Corriere.it. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- Official website on W3 Consortium
- Official website on University of Padua
- Technology Review award
- The HyperSearch paper
|P ≟ NP||This biographical article relating to a computer scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|