Master (Russian band)
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2007)|
Alik Granovsky at a signing session in 2006
|Genres||Thrash metal, speed metal, heavy metal|
|Associated acts||Aria, Epidemia, Sepultura|
|Fender Jazz Bass|
This article is about the Russian thrash metal band. For the American death metal band, see Master (American band).
In 1987, Alik Granovsky, Andrey Bolshakov, Kirill Pokrovsky and Igor Molchanov left the heavy metal band Aria due to their conflict with the producer Victor Vekshtein. Vocalist Mikhail Seryshev and guitarist Sergey Popov joined them to play live concerts. Their first self-titled release was half-completed by Aria's songs written by Granovsky and Bolshakov, but the rest of the songs were completely different in style. Master turned away from Aria's NWOBHM-like style to speed/thrash metal. Master released two albums with English lyrics, but the majority of their albums are in Russian.
In 1991, Seryshev assumed the role of Jesus in the Russian version of the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar by Andrew Lloyd Webber. The next year, Master toured Russia with Sepultura. In 1993 Andrey Bolshakov left the band.
In 1997, Seryshev dismissed the French tour. Master toured with Arthur Berkut on vocals, but after the tour Popov, Tony Shender (drums) and he left Master and started a new band called Zooom. Because of his opera career and singing in a church choir, Seryshev was unable to work with Master and left the band; soon after Lexx (Alexey Kravchenko) took his place on vocals. Also, Alexey Strike, a famous Russian guitarist, joined the band. Alexander Karpuhin took over the drums.
In 2011, Andrey Smirnov and Oleg Khovrin left the band. Alexander "Gips" took over the drums and Leo Fomin remains the only guitarist.
- Мастер (Master) — 1987 (more than 1 million copies)
- С Петлёй На шее (S Petlyoy Na Sheye) (S Petlyoy Na Sheye — With a Lee on the Neck) — 1989 (more than 2 million copies)
- Talk of the Devil — 1992
- Maniac Party — 1994
- Песни Мёртвых (Pesni Myortvih) (Pesni Myortvih - Songs of The Dead) — 1996
- Лабиринт (Labyrinth) (Labirint - Labyrinth) — 2000
- 33 Жизни (33 Zhizni - 33 lives) — 2004
- По Ту Сторону Сна (Po Tu Storonu Sna — The Other Side Of a Dream) — 2006
- VIII — 2010
- Live —1995
- The Best. Kontsert V Moskve '97 (The Best. Concert in Moscow '97) (also released as Live 97) — 1997
- Klassika 1987-2002 (Classics of 1987-2002) — 2001
- Tribute to Harley-Davidson — 2001
- Akustika (Acoustics) — 2005
- XX let (XX years) — 2008