|Birth name||Theo Jerome Kerlin|
|Born||7 May 1989|
|Origin||Mitcham, London, England|
|Genres||Alternative hip hop, electronica, indie rock, UK Garage, R&B|
|Occupations||Rapper, singer-songwriter, record producer, ceo|
|Labels||Odd One Out, Hitz Committee, RCA, Sony|
|Associated acts||Vindata, Don Diablo, Hadouken!, Labrinth|
Theo Jerome Kerlin (born 7 May 1989) is a British MC who is credited by his stage name Master Shortie. He is also a singer, establishing his own record label, Odd One Out. Plus has been listed in the Sound of 2009 poll.
Originally from Mitcham in South London. His dad ran an east London jazz bar throughout his childhood which led him to listen to many genres of music, encouraging him to start rapping at the age of 12.
He Started off at The Kidz in the Biz Academy in South East London. After a short stint at the BRIT School at the age of 14, he soon dropped out, claiming "it wasn't me, it didn't suit me". At 16, Kerlin enrolled on a BTEC course at Nescot studying Music Technology. He then started recording and producing his own adolescent hip-hop songs with producers and an underground reggae singer called Sparky.
In 2005, Kerlin started to support American urban acts such as ATL at the Hackney Empire, the Scala and Shepherd's Bush Empire.
A.D.H.D and Sound Of.. Poll (2008–present)
In September 2008,Theo Kerlin released his debut single "Rope Chain", alongside a music video which gathered popularity on YouTube. In December 2008, Master Shortie was enlisted in the Sound of 2009 poll, whereby he was tipped to be the one to look out for in 2009. He stated that the hype is helping him "work twice as hard".
In January 2009, Master Shortie stated that his new album A.D.H.D was slated to release in the summer of 2009. Citing that the reason for the album name is that "my music is just so crazy and it's so all over the place and it craves attention." In April, Master Shortie released his third single, "Dance Like a White Boy", which was shortly followed by the aforementioned album. The track "Swagger Chick" features Vanessa White from girlgroup The Saturdays.
In the spring of 2009 Master Shortie supported Basement Jaxx on their UK tour.
Through out2013 Master Shortie worked on his latest piece. He announced over Twitter that it would be named 'Nobody Taught Me' and also shared the EP's artwork. On 4 November he released the first song of the album, 'Where I'm At' was debuted on the music sharing site SoundCloud where he has had a presence for over a year.
- Rope Chain (2008)
- Dead End (2008) (ft. Labrinth)
- Dance Like a White Boy (2009)
- Dead End (re-release) (2009)
- Bringing It Back (2009)
- Right Time (2010)
- Daydream (ft. Polluted Mindz) (2010)
- Social Groups (2011)
- A.D.H.D. (2009)
- Nobody Taught Me (2013)
- Bringing it Back (Vindata Remix)
- Dead End (Don Diablo Remix)
- MistaJam Presents... Odd One Out Mashtape (2009)
- Studying Abroad (2012)
- "Master Shortie on Sound Of...". BBC. 5 December 2008. Retrieved 15 June 2009.
- "BBC Sound of 2009: The longlist". BBC. 5 December 2008. Retrieved 15 June 2009.
- Clairns, Dan (26 October 2008). "Breaking act: Master Shortie". The Times. Retrieved 15 June 2009.
- Lester, Paul (21 August 2009). "Master Shortie Bio". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 June 2009.
- "Master Shortie: Dance Like A White Boy". Selby Times. 8 March 2009. Retrieved 15 June 2009.
- "The young British rapper ... is in our Spanking New for 09 list". MTV. 7 January 2009. Retrieved 15 June 2009.
- "Wireless 2009 Lineup". virtualfestival.com. Retrieved 15 June 2009.