Master of Management
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
The Master of Management (MM, MiM, MMgt) is a post-graduate master’s degree awarded to students who normally complete a one- to two-year program of graduate level coursework in business management at an accredited academic institution. As the program is designed for students interested in entering leadership roles, the degree attracts applicants from diverse academic disciplines. The MM program structure and admissions are similar to that of the Master of Business Administration and Master of Science in Management degrees.
Business school Admission Committees normally evaluate applicants based on Bachelor degree GPA (and graduate GPA if applicable), GMAT score, detailed resume, letters of recommendation, essays, and a personal interview.
Based on these indicators, the committee decides if the applicant can handle the academic rigor of the program, demonstrate considerable leadership potential, and contribute positively to the study body of the school as a whole.
The MM structure varies from program to program, but typically resembles one of the five major types of MBAs (distance-learning, part-time, accelerated, two-year, or executive).
The MM program for young professionals with limited professional experience often resembles one of a distance-learning, part-time, accelerated, or two-year MBA program. It typically prepares students to handle management issues in all areas of business with the option to concentrate or specialize in one area. Most programs begin with a set of required courses and then offer more specialized courses two thirds of the way through the program. Concentrations include accounting, finance, strategic management, international business, marketing management, information systems, operations management, and human resources.
The MM program for senior professionals with managerial experience (typically 10+ years) often resembles an Executive MBA (EMBA) program. It typically prepares students to handle the tasks associated with interdisciplinary business-related subjects such as ethical decision making, business law, global business values, workplace security, corporate crime, and employee motivation. One such program is the International Masters for Practicing Management (IMPM)which focuses on helping upper level managers improve their leadership practice and is delivered by business schools in 5 different countries, England, Canada, India, China and Brazil.
Topics in the MM program often include:
- Strategic Management
- Ethical Decision Making
- Business Culture
- Leadership and Motivation
- Corporate Communications
- Business Law
- Human Resource Management
- Workplace Security
- Public Relations
- International Business
- Operational research
- Operations and Logistics
- Information Technology
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Reporting
- Supply Chain Management
- Marketing Research
Programs in Europe can be general and/or specialized. The programs tend to be targeted at recent bachelor degree graduates from backgrounds in Business, Economics, Engineering, Science, Arts, etc. with limited professional experience. The programs are widely known as a pre-experience MBA programs, as both have similar approaches but different student demographic.
Programs in Canada vary by university. The Richard Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario offers the MSc in Management for recent university graduates looking to explore international business. The Sauder School of Business at UBC has two MM programs; the MM for recent graduates from non-business backgrounds, and the MM-OR for students from quantitative backgrounds looking to work in operational research. Queen’s University - Queen's School of Business offers a Master of Global Management to recent graduates with a background in business administration. McGill University has offers several MM programs: one, a Masters in Manufacturing Management, is offered by the Faculties of Management and Engineering. The university also offers two programs founded by Henry Mintzberg: an International Masters in Practicing Management and an International Masters in Health Leadership, both for experienced managers.
Universities and MM
- International Islamic University Malaysia
- Open University Malaysia
- University of Malaya
- Universiti Putra Malaysia
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
- University of the Philippines
- College of Management Mahidol University
- IIT Bombay, India
- Bina Nusantara University, Jakarta
- The Australian National University
- The University of Sydney
- The University of Melbourne
- University of Southern Queensland
- Aquinas College, Grand Rapids, MI
- Richard Ivey School of Business, The University of Western Ontario
- The University of British Columbia - Sauder
- Harvard University
- McGill University
- Cambridge College
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- The University of Virginia
- Queens University
- University of Windsor
- Duke University
- Wake Forest University
- Fordham University
- Southern Oregon University
- University of Phoenix
- Oral Roberts University
- Liberty University
- University of Michigan
- Northwestern University
- Grenoble Ecole de Management
- Stockholm School of Economics
- London Business School
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- IE Business School
- Michael Smurfit Graduate School of Business
- HEC Paris
- Groupe Sup de Co Montpellier Business School
- EADA Business School
- EDHEC Business School
- EMLYON Business School
- University of St. Gallen
- Louvain School of Management
- Solvay Business School
- Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration
- Warsaw School of Economics
- University of Surrey
- Manchester Business School
- ESSEC Business School
- ISC Paris
- ESCP Europe
- Skema Business School
- BI Norwegian School of Management.
- Panthéon-Assas University
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- IAE Aix-en-Provence
- "Master of Science in Management at Ivey Business School".
- "Master of Management at Sauder School of Business at UBC, Vancouver, Canada".
- "Master of Management in Operations Research, Sauder School of Business at UBC, Vancouver, Canada".
- "Queen’s Masters of Global Management Program offers Five Double Degree Options".
- "Masters in Manufacturing Management, Desautels Faculty of Management, McGill University".
- "International Masters in Practicing Management (IMPM), Desautels Faculty of Management".
- "International Masters for Health Leadership, Desautels Faculty of Management, McGill University".
- My MiM Application: One Stop Portal for authentic information and help on applying to Top Masters in Management Programs
- My MiM Forum : World's Premier Masters in Management Students and Applicants Community