Master of Performing Arts
The Master of Performing Arts (M.P.A. or M.Perf.A.) is a graduate degree awarded in the fields of dance, drama, film and music. The degree generally requires a minimum of two years of full-time study to complete. The degree program is offered primarily in Asia, and was formerly offered in the United States of America, where it has been supplanted by the more prevalent Master of Fine Arts, Master of Music and Master of Arts in Performing Arts degrees.
Institutions presently offering a Master of Performing Arts program include:
- Dr. Hari Singh Gour University
- Banaras Hindu University
- Bhatkhande Music Institute
- Bharathidasan University
- Indira Gandhi National Open University
- Lovely Professional University
- University of Hyderabad
In the Italian higher education system, the various Academies of Fine Arts offer second level programs that lead to a "Diploma Accademico di Secondo Livello in Arti Visive e Discipline dello Spettacolo" which translates to "Masters in Visual and Performing Arts". The degree bears this name regardless of whether the discipline studied was in the Visual Arts or the Performing Arts. This credential is thus equivalent if the discipline studied was a Performing Arts discipline.
United States of America
Institutions that formerly granted the Master of Performing Arts degree include:
- Bharathidasan University. "Post-Graduate Programmes". Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Unesco. Principal Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific; Regional Institute of Higher Education and Development (1998). Handbook on diplomas, degrees and other certificates granted by higher education Institutions in Asia and the Pacific. SEAMEO Regional Centre for Higher Education and Development. p. 115. ISBN 978-974-202-036-1. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- James Cass; Max Birnbaum (1983). Comparative Guide to American Colleges for Students, Parents, and Counselors. Harper & Row. p. xii. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Rajshahi University. "Department of Theatre and Music". Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Banaras Hindu University. "Course Offered". Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Bhatkhande Music Institute. "Courses and Schemes". Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- Indira Gandhi National Open University. "School of Performing and Visual Arts Programmes". Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Lovely Professional University. "Programme Details". Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- University of Hyderabad. "Programmes of Study". Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- University of Malaya. "Programmes for Semester II (February) 2011/2012 Session". Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- First Presbyterian Church of Mountain View. "A Musical Recital". Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- Tulane University. "Aigerim Magavina". Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Wheelock College. "2011 Passion for Action Leadership Award Recipient". Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Oklahoma City University. "Through the Years". Retrieved 28 November 2012.