Master of the House
|Du skal ære din hustru|
|Directed by||Carl Theodor Dreyer|
|Written by||Carl Theodor Dreyer
|Edited by||Carl Theodor Dreyer|
|Distributed by||Palladium Film,|
|Release dates||5 October 1925|
|Running time||107 minutes|
Master of the House (Danish: Du skal ære din hustru, literally Thou Shalt Honour Thy Wife) is a 1925 Danish silent comedy film drama directed and written by acclaimed filmmaker Carl Theodor Dreyer. The film marked the debut of Karin Nellemose. The silent is regarded as a classic by many in Danish cinema and has been released on DVD.
The story is that of a man who takes his wife for granted and does not appreciate the effort it takes to maintain a household. While his wife is resigned and browbeaten, his old nanny and wife's current friend is not and she orchestrates a plan that will force him to rethink his notions of being head of a household.
The film has been evaluated as a "spare, compassionate, and astute social satire".
- Johannes Meyer ... Viktor Frandsen
- Astrid Holm ... Ida Frandsen
- Karin Nellemose ... Karen Frandsen
- Mathilde Nielsen ... Old Victor's wetnurse
- Clara Schønfeld ... Alvilda Kryger
- Johannes Nielsen ... Doctor
- Petrine Sonne ... Laundress
- Aage Hoffman ... Dreng, son
- Byril Harvig ... Barnet, son
- Viggo Lindstrøm
- Aage Schmidt
- Vilhelm Petersen
- "Du skal ære din hustru, 1925". Strictly Film School. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- Master of the House at the Internet Movie Database
- Master of the House at AllMovie
- Master of the House at the Swedish Film Institute Database
|This article related to Danish silent film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a silent comedy-drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|