|History and status|
The Masturbate-a-thon is an event in which participants masturbate to raise money for charity and increase the public awareness and dispel the shame and taboos that exist about this form of sexual activity. During the past six years, the Masturbate-a-thon has raised over $25,000 for women’s health initiatives and HIV prevention, education and treatment organizations, and has contributed to debates about safer sex and alternative safe methods of sexual expression. The event awards several honors for those who raise the most money as well as for multiple orgasms and endurance.
In May 1995, San Francisco–based sex toy shop Good Vibrations declared May to be "Masturbation Month". Since then, it has encouraged people to get sponsors as a fundraiser for charities with a sex-positive focus.
In 1999, the Masturbate-a-Thon was originated by the collective Open Enterprises, which operates Good Vibrations. The slogan "Come for a Cause" was coined by Rachel Venning, the founder of the sex toy shop Babeland, formerly Toys in Babeland, which has branches in Seattle, in Brooklyn, and (two) in Manhattan. The Masturbate-a-Thon was built up by Good Vibrations, which encouraged other modern sex-toy businesses—such as Babeland; A Woman's Touch, in Madison, Wisconsin; Toronto's Come As You Are; and Boston's Grand Opening—to hold events coinciding with "masturbation month" (May in the United States). In that year, the first live event was held at San Francisco's Campus Theater, by the Center for Sex and Culture (CSC)'s Carol Queen and her partner, Robert Lawrence. CSC is an education-based non-profit providing professional-level sex education. The annual events are used as a public-health-education device to increase awareness of self-pleasure as a strategy for safer and healthier sex and to de-stigmatize self-love.
London hosted Europe's first "masturbate-a-thon" on August 5, 2006. Hundreds of persons raised money for the charity Terrence Higgins Trust and the sexual- and reproductive-health agency Marie Stopes International.[dead link] The Masturbate-a-thon, also called "Wank-a-Thon," was recorded by ZigZagProductions of London as part of an international documentary of the event. However, plans to broadcast this on Channel 4 as part of its Wank Week series were abandoned, including programming from Europe's fetish and leather week.
Montreal's first Masturbate-a-thon (aka "Wankfest") was on May 4, 2013, and raised money for the charity Head and Hands, a youth sex education and outreach organization, and Sexploreum, an adult education group dedicated to encouraging playfulness with sexuality. The event was attended by over 60 people and events were held bilingually in English and French.
Time records indicate duration (length of time for which a participant masturbated)
2012 Tealc Convention New Zealand
The current record was Pornstar Uthredx holding the New Zealand record of "Longest Time Spent Masturbating" which stands at 3 hours and 52 minutes on December 12, 2012. Which was also given the title of accident wreckstorm.
2012 San Francisco
- The current World Record holder of the "Longest Time Spent Masturbating" is pornstar Sonny Nash, who pleasured himself for 10 hours and 10 minutes in May, 2012.
NB - All official Masturbate-a-Thon records are witnessed by trained monitors who attest in writing to their veracity, measurement method and equipment.
2010 San Francisco
- The former record holder of "Longest Time Spent Masturbating" is sex toy company TENGA worker Masanobu Sato, who pleasured himself for 9 hours and 58 minutes. ((http://onania.org/asm/post/5896))
2009 San Francisco
- The winner of "Longest Time Spent Masturbating" (and also the World Record Holder in this category) is Todd Campbell of South Wales, who in 2008 masturbated for 9 hours and 33 minutes. In 2009 he extended his record to 9 hours and 58 minutes.
- The winner of "Longest Time Spent Masturbating a Male co-worker" was set in 2008 by Mr. D Ickle, who masturbated him 7 hours and 6 minutes.
- The winner of "Most Orgasms/Male" was set by Big D Hardie, Grangemouth in 2010 — at 83 climaxes, a world record.
- The winner of "Most Orgasms/Female" is Loooo-C, who orgasmed 83 times in 2010.
- New United States—Men's distance record set in 2009 by (nom de plume) Mr. Flint Greasewood—5 feet 4 inches (1.63 m).
- Winner of most ejaculations in 12 hrs/male : 11 visible ejaculations producing semen (LWD)
- The winner for ejaculation distance/male 13 feet 4 inches (LWD)
- Masturbation time—men: 42 hours and 45 minutes
- Masturbation time—women: 69 hours and 4 minutes
- Number of orgasms—men: 69—Spanish record (Charles Young)
- Number of orgasms—women: 226—World record ( Sally Shields)
- Ejaculation distance—men Lot Yu and Andre: 8 feet 2.5 inches (2.5 m)
- Ejaculation distance—women: 10 feet 4 inches (3.15 m)– World record (Pernille)
- Target ejaculation—men: 6 centimetres (2.4 in) from bull's eye
- Target ejaculation—women: All over bull's eye (Pernille)
- Ejaculation distance—
- Tristan Taormino. "The Female Hard-On". Retrieved April 24, 2008.
- Queen, Carol (April 23, 2003). "The Royal Treatment: Time to Masturbate". Spectator Magazine, reprinted in Good Vibrations magazine. Retrieved July 24, 2007.
- Lloyd, Stacy (April 30, 2010). "May is National Masturbation Month". Empowher. Retrieved June 19, 2011.
- Masturbate-a-thon press release (retrieved August 6, 2006)
- Leigh Holmwood (July 18, 2006). "More tossers on TV". The Guardian. UK. Retrieved November 2, 2007.
- Jason Deans (February 2, 2007). "'Wank week' postponed". The Guardian. UK. Retrieved November 2, 2007.
- "'Masturbate-a-thon Montreal'". June 21, 2013. Retrieved June 21, 2013.
- "Masturbate-a-thon Records at masturbate-a-thon.com". Archived from the original on 15 May 2010.