Match for Africa and Joining Forces for the Benefit of Children
"Match for Africa" was a tennis exhibition match played on 21 December 2010. The match was contested between World Number One player Rafael Nadal and World Number Two Roger Federer in Zurich, Switzerland. It was played to benefit the Roger Federer Foundation, which raises money to fund schooling, transport and food for children in Africa. It was the first of two exhibition matches contested by the players in the space of two days, with a match being hosted in Madrid in Nadal's home county, Spain the following day. The match in Madrid was for the benefit of Nadal's foundation and the match was titled "Joining Forces for the Benefit of Children", played at the Caja Mágica.
Demand for the event at the Hallenstadion was high, with the 10,500 tickets being sold out within minutes of going on sale in September 2010. The match was won by home-favourite Federer in three sets, with a 4–6, 6–3, 6–3 scoreline. The second match in Madrid was won by Nadal 7–6(7–3), 4–6, 6–3.
The matches raised nearly $4 million for charity, with $2.5 million going to the Roger Federer Foundation and $1.3 million to Fundación Rafa Nadal; with more to come in for Nadal's charity as segments of the court were sold from the Madrid match.
Match for Africa 2
"Match for Africa 2" was a second exhibition match to raise money for the Roger Federer Foundation. The match was played on December 21, 2014 in an again sold out Hallenstadion in Zurich, Switzerland. This time the match was contested between the World Number 2 player Roger Federer and World Number 4 Stan Wawrinka. The match was won by Federer 7:6 (7:4), 6:4.
- "Federer, Nadal Play 'Match For Africa' In Zurich". ATP Tour. 21 December 2010. Retrieved 6 January 2011.
- "Federer downs Nadal in exhibition". Associated Press (The New York Times). 21 December 2010. Retrieved 22 December 2010.
- "Federer downs Nadal in first exhibition". Eurosport. Yahoo!. 21 December 2010. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- "Nadal defeats Federer in Madrid". Eurosport. Yahoo!. 22 December 2010. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- "Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal raise nearly $4m from charity matches". crunchsports.com. 31 December 2010.
- "Roger Federer beats Stan Wawrinka as Swiss duo raise money for African children". Stuart Fraser (Daily Mail). 22 December 2014. Retrieved 2 January 2014.