|Birth name||Iman Jordan|
August 13, 1986 |
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
|Origin||Los Angeles, California|
|Genres||Pop, R&B, Soul, Alternative|
|Associated acts||Kerry Brothers, Alicia Keys, Swizz Beats|
Iman Jordan (born August 13, 1986) known by his stage name Mateo, is an American pop/R&B singer/songwriter from Cincinnati, Ohio. He was formerly signed to MySpace Records, but parted ways with the label in 2010. Mateo is now signed to the Krucial Noise imprint on Interscope Records, label imprint of Alicia Keys producer Kerry "Krucial" Brothers.
Mateo was born in Cincinnati, Ohio into a musical family. His grandfather, Freddy Jordan was a jazz and session guitarist at the historic King Records where he played for the likes of James Brown, Freddie King, and Charles Brown. His grandmother was a singer who toured Canada and the northeastern United States. Mateo started singing at an early age and playing classical piano at age 5. Mateo attended Morehouse College, majoring in music and business. After graduation, Mateo moved to New York City where he briefly worked as a strategy consultant.
2008–10: Beginnings in Los Angeles and MySpace Records
Mateo eventually moved to Los Angeles, California to pursue a career in the music industry where he met with former MTV VJ, Quddus.[not in citation given] Quddus, who was working at MySpace Records quickly took interest and brought Mateo over to the label which signed him nearly on the spot. While on MySpace records, Mateo released a three part mixtape series entitled "Underneath the Sky", which garnered critical acclaim. The mixtape series included features from Kardinal Offishall, Teairra Mari, Fashawn, and Shawn Chrystopher. On August 13, 2009, Mateo recorded a live EP entitled Get To Know Me: Live at Swing House. His video, "Get to Know Me", from the live EP was featured by MTVU, Fuse, and Music Choice. After a year and a half stint at MySpace Records, Mateo decided to part ways with the label in 2010.
2010–2012: Krucial Noise signing, Love & Stadiums and Say It's So
In September 2010, Mateo signed to Krucial Noise, the label imprint of Alicia Keys longtime producer and songwriting partner, Kerry "Krucial" Brothers. Brothers met Mateo through Quddus during the MySpace Records days. Mateo released his fourth mixtape Love & Stadiums on March 30, 2011 to critical acclaim. The mixtape serves as his first release under Krucial Noise and includes features from Goapele, Pusha T, Ab-Liva, Gilbere Forte, and Kardinal Offishall.
Mateo released his debut single, "Say It's So", on September 21, 2011 off his EP Love & Stadiums II. The single is produced by Kerry Brothers and features additional vocals from Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz. In September 2011, Mateo shot a video for "Say Its So" in New York City, directed by David "Dahveed" Telles. The single charted independently on the Billboard 100, which garnered attention from Larry Jackson and John Ehman at Interscope Records.
2012–present: Interscope Signing, Suite 823 , and "We've Met Before"
In April 2012, Mateo officially signed to Interscope Records. While working with Kerry "Krucial" Brothers on the upcoming album, they decided to release an all original mixtape project for the summer, entitled Suite 823. The mixtape was released on August 1, 2012 to rave reviews, featuring an appearance by Motown recording artist, Stacy Barthe.
On August 13, 2013, he released an EP entitled, "We've Met Before" which peaked at #3 on the iTunes R&B charts. "How Good is Your Love" was the official single released from the EP. The video for the single peaked at #6 on BET's 106 and Park and in February 2014, Mateo performed the song on VH-1's "Single Ladies".
- Underneath the Sky Mixtape Ch. 1: Presented by Mick Boogie (2009) 
- Underneath the Sky Mixtape Ch. 2: Presented by DJ Felli Fel (2009)
- Underneath the Sky Mixtape Ch. 3: Presented by Tapemasters Inc. (2010) 
- Love & Stadiums Mixtape: Presented by Krucial Noise (2011) 
- Suite 823 (2012)
- Get To Know Me: Live at Swing House EP (2009) 
- " We've Met Before" EP (2014)
- Jackson, Eboyne.The Method: Mateo, HoneyMag, July 29, 2010, accessed June 18, 2011.
- New Music: Mateo – ‘Love & Stadiums’ [Mixtape], Rap-Up, March 30, 2011, accessed June 18, 2011.
- Tracy, Steven. "Going To Cincinnati: A History of the Blues in the Queen City". University of Illinois Press, 1993, p. 148.
- Salaam, Khalid. Kerry Brothers’ Newest Signee Steps To The Plate, XXL Magazine, June 3, 2011, accessed June 18, 2011.
- MTV VJs, MTV, accessed June 18, 2011.
- Angel. ARTIST SPOTLIGHT: MATEO, ConcreteLoop, September 11, 2009, accessed June 18, 2011.
- Marie, Michelle.YH Buzz Meter: Mateo, YoungHollywood, accessed June 18, 2011.
- Shake. Mick Boogie Presents Mateo – Underneath the Sky (Mixtape), 2DopeBoyz, March 5, 2009, accessed June 18, 2011.
- Shamz. Mateo – Underneath The Sky Chapter 2 [Mixtape], Okayplayer, June 10, 2009, accessed June 18, 2011.
- Angel. NEW MUSIC: MATEO RELEASES HIS NEW MIXTAPE, “UNDERNEATH THE SKY, ConcreteLoop, March 3, 2010, accessed June 18, 2011.
- Mateo Moves Forward With 'Sky Mixtape' Post Myspace Split, SingersRoom, March 4, 2010, accessed June 18, 2011.
- , Vibe, March 24, 2011, accessed June 18, 2011.
- FRESH MEAT: Mateo's "Say Its So" Ft. Alicia Keys, TheYBF, September 22, 2011, accessed September 22, 2011.
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO PREMIERE: MATEO – “SAY IT’S SO”, ConcreteLoop, November 10, 2011, accessed September 25, 2012.
- Mateo Dishes on Krucial's New Label, First Dates, and 'Suite 823' Mixtape, Singersroom, July 25, 2012, accessed September 25, 2012.
- , You Know I Got Soul, August 13, 2013, accessed May 23, 2014.
- BET's 106 & Park, BET Countdown, Nov 22, 2013, accessed May 23, 2014.