Musacchio in action for Villarreal
|Full name||Mateo Pablo Musacchio|
|Date of birth||26 August 1990|
|Place of birth||Rosario, Argentina|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|25 de Mayo|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 8 March 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
A product of Club Atlético River Plate's youth system, Musacchio was born in Rosario, Santa Fe, and he made his first-team debut as a 16-year-old during the 2006–07 season, making four appearances. He was part of the squad that won the Clausura in the following year, but did not feature in any games.
In August 2009 Musacchio moved to Villarreal CF in Spain, initially being assigned to the B-team in the second division. He made his official debut on 5 September in a 1–3 loss at Córdoba CF as the reserves overachieved in their first season ever in the category, eventually finishing seventh.
Musacchio made his La Liga debut on 13 February 2010, playing the last 15 minutes in a 2–1 home win against Athletic Bilbao. From that moment onwards he was permanently promoted to Villarreal's first team, successively surpassing more experienced Iván Marcano and Gonzalo Rodríguez – the latter his compatriot – in the defensive pecking order.
Musacchio was first called by the Argentine national team in May 2011, as manager Sergio Batista only selected players under 25 for friendlies with Nigeria and Poland. He made his debut against the former on 2 June, in a 1–4 loss.
- River Plate
Musacchio's paternal grandparents were of Albanian origin, being Arbëreshë from the Portocannone community in lower Molise. The surname Musacchio originated from the Muzaka region in south-central Albania, and was widely used in the Albanian community in Italy.
- River Plate Squad – Closing '07; Argentine Soccer
- "Musacchio jugará en el filial del Villarreal" [Musacchio will play in Villarreal's reserves] (in Spanish). Marca. 31 August 2009. Retrieved 31 August 2009.
- "Debut agridulce para Musacchio en el filial" [Bittersweet debut for Musacchio with reserves] (in Spanish). El Periódico Mediterráneo. 7 September 2009. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "El filial se ve obligado a descender a Segunda B tras el descenso del Villarreal" [Reserves forced to relegate after Villarreal relegation] (in Spanish). Vavel. 14 May 2012. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Nilmar bautiza la 'era Garrido'" [Nilmar baptizes 'Garrido era'] (in Spanish). Diario AS. 14 February 2010. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Jugar en el Bernabéu es un sueño para mí" [To play at the Bernabéu is a dream for me] (in Spanish). Diario AS. 20 February 2010. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Musacchio apunta a titular si Godín no está disponible" [Musacchio poised to start if Godín is not available] (in Spanish). Las Provincias. 27 February 2010. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Musacchio y Ruben, convocados a la selección argentina" [Musacchio y Ruben, called to Argentine national team] (in Spanish). River's official website. 20 May 2011. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Argentina B fue vapuleada por Nigeria" [Argentina B routed by Nigeria] (in Spanish). Info News. 2 June 2011. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Calciomercato Roma, Musacchio è il primo rinforzo" [Calciomercato Roma, Musacchio is first addition] (in Italian). Roma Today. 27 April 2012. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- Villarreal official profile
- Argentine League statistics (Spanish)
- BDFutbol profile
- Futbolme profile (Spanish)
- Mateo Musacchio at National-Football-Teams.com
- Soccerway profile