Mater Dei Catholic High School (Chula Vista, California)
|Mater Dei Catholic High School|
|1615 Mater Dei Drive
Chula Vista, California, (San Diego County), 91913
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|President||Sister Lilia Barba |
|Asst. Principal||Frank Stingo|
|Chaplain||Fr. Martin Latiff, MC|
|• Grade 9||190|
|• Grade 10||160|
|• Grade 11||168|
|• Grade 12||172|
|Average class size||25|
|Color(s)||Blue and gold|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Average SAT scores||1584|
|Tuition||$11,640 (Catholic rate)|
|V.P./Dean of Boys||Joseph Brunner|
|Dean of Girls||Cresencia Angeles|
|Admissions Director||Roy Vasquez|
|Athletic Director||Bill Gerken|
Mater Dei Catholic High School (MDCHS) is a private, Roman Catholic high school in Chula Vista, California, USA. It is located in the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego. Mater Dei Catholic replaced its former school, Marian Catholic High School, in September 2007. The rebuilding/renaming came as a result of the Diocese's decision to upgrade all of its secondary campuses beginning in 2002. The original campus was located in South San Diego.
Marian Catholic was established in 1960. It was the first Catholic co-educational high school in the Diocese. The school mascot is the Crusader. The cost of attendance at MDCHS is the average catholic rate compared with most private, Roman Catholic high schools in San Diego, at around $11,040 - $12,960 per year in the 2010-2011 academic year.
Marian Catholic/Mater Dei teams have won two state titles.
- Susan Compton (1981). SD-CIF Girls' volleyball Player of the Year (1980). NCAA Tournament First Team selection (1984), with Stanford University.
- Stanley Daniels NFL player
- John Carlos Frey (1981), activist, screenwriter, film director and actor.
- George Milke. Former Major League baseball pitcher for the New York Mets
- Mickey Pimentel (2003) American football linebacker for the Atlanta Falcons of the National Football League.
- Jesse Rodriguez (1969). Former Superior Court judge (1989–2003). Assistant District Attorney for San Diego County.
- Mary Salas (1966). Former California State Assembly member, 79th District (2006-2010).
- Paul Arriola Professional Soccer player, member of the United States men's national under-20 soccer team and current player of Club Tijuana in Liga MX.
- Alejandro Guido Professional Soccer player, member of the United States men's national under-20 soccer team and current player of Club Tijuana in Liga MX.
Distinguished alumni Hall of Fame
The Mater Dei / Marian Alumni Association introduced the Distinguished Crusader Hall of Fame in 2011. The annual class of inductees is listed below:
Crusader Hall Of Fame
In 2008, the Marian High Alumni Association inducted the inaugural class of the "Crusader Hall Of Fame".
Notes and references
- "Welcome new President at MDCHS". Mater Dei Catholic High School. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- Vasquez, Roy. "Mater Dei Catholic High School - School Profile". Mater Dei Catholic High School. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- WASC-ACS. "WASC-Accrediting Commission for Schools". Retrieved 50 May 2012. Check date values in:
- "About Us: History". Mater Dei Catholic High School. Retrieved 11 May 2009.
- "CIF Recordbook" (PDF). SDCIF. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- Orozco, Ivan (15 March 2009). "Crusaders stun Bishop's and look to Sacramento". San Diego Union-Tribune News. Retrieved 16 March 2009.
- Brand, Steve (21 March 2009). "Mater Dei Catholic girls win Division IV state basketball title". San Diego Union-Tribune News. Retrieved 21 March 2009.
- Frey, John Carlos. "Gatekeeper Productions - About Us". Retrieved 3 December 2008.
- "Distinguished Alumni". Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Crusader Sports Hall Of Fame". Mater Dei Catholic High School. Retrieved 27 June 2013.