Mater Dei Catholic High School (Chula Vista, California)
|Mater Dei Catholic High School|
|1615 Mater Dei Drive
Chula Vista, California, (San Diego County), 91913
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|President||Sister Lilia Barba |
|Asst. Principal||Frank Stingo|
|Chaplain||Fr. Martin Latiff, MC|
|Average class size||25|
|Color(s)||Blue and gold|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Average SAT scores||1584|
|Tuition||$11,640 (Catholic rate)|
|V.P./Dean of Boys||Joseph Brunner|
|Dean of Girls||Cresencia Angeles|
|Admissions Director||Roy Vasquez|
|Athletic Director||Bill Gerkin|
Mater Dei Catholic High School (MDCHS) is a private, Roman Catholic high school in Chula Vista, California, USA. It is located in the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego. Mater Dei Catholic replaced its former school, Marian Catholic High School, in September 2007. The rebuilding/renaming came as a result of the Diocese's decision to upgrade all of its secondary campuses beginning in 2002. The original campus was located in South San Diego.
Marian Catholic was established in 1960. It was the first Catholic co-educational high school in the Diocese. The school mascot is the Crusader. The cost of attendance at MDCHS is the average catholic rate compared with most private, Roman Catholic high schools in San Diego, at around $11,040 - $12,960 per year in the 2010-2011 academic year.
The 2009 Lady Crusaders beat Bishops School 54-51 to win the CIF Division IV regional title. They then beat Modesto Christian High School in a come-back win 54-51 to become the CIF State Division IV Champions, becoming the first Crusader team to win a state title.
The Crusaders boys' American football teams won the Division 1A championship in 1988, were Division IV champions in 1998–1999 and Division III champions in 2002–2003. The 2003 team set the CIF record for points in a season with 713. They won 27 consecutive games between 2002 and 2004. Outstanding players include Stanley Daniels (2002), Mickey Pimentel (2003) and Patrick Gates (2004).
The 2009 Crusader soccer team beat Francis Parker High School 2-0 in the San Diego Section CIF Finals. They then beat Salesian High School of Los Angeles 2-1 in the State Regional finals in Downey, California, to win the 2009 CIF Division III Title. Sergio Lopez was named player of the week by the San Diego Hall of Champions and received the player of the month award for March. Mater Dei Catholic is the first boys' soccer team from San Diego in any division to win the State Regional Title.
The 2009-2010 Lady Crusaders' softball team defeated the number one seed Christian High School to win the SDCIF Division IV softball title.
The 2010-2011 Lady Crusaders defeated the number one seed Madison High to win the SDCIF Division IV Softball title.
The 1979–1981 girls' volleyball team won three consecutive SD-CIF Div 2A titles. The 1979 team placed third in state and the 1980 team finished in second place. Three members of those teams were awarded SD-CIF Player of the Year title: Julie Baker (1979), Susan Compton (1980) and Alisha Eischen (1981 and 1982). They won the Metro division in six sconsecutive years, from 1979 to 1984. The volleyball team still holds the section record for consecutive wins (46) from 1980 until 1982.
- Susan Compton (1981). SD-CIF Girls' volleyball Player of the Year (1980). NCAA Tournament First Team selection (1984), with Stanford University.
- Stanley Daniels NFL player
- John Carlos Frey (1981), activist, screenwriter, film director and actor.
- George Milke. Former Major League baseball pitcher for the New York Mets
- Mickey Pimentel (2003) American football linebacker for the Atlanta Falcons of the National Football League.
- Jesse Rodriguez (1969). Former Superior Court judge (1989–2003). Assistant District Attorney for San Diego County.
- Mary Salas (1966). Former California State Assembly member, 79th District (2006-2010).
Distinguished alumni Hall of Fame
The Mater Dei / Marian Alumni Association introduced the Distinguished Crusader Hall of Fame in 2011. The annual class of inductees is listed below:
Crusader Hall Of Fame
In 2008, the Marian High Alumni Association inducted the inaugural class of the "Crusader Hall Of Fame".
Notes and references
- "Welcome new President at MDCHS". Mater Dei Catholic High School. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- Vasquez, Roy. "Mater Dei Catholic High School - School Profile". Mater Dei Catholic High School. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- WASC-ACS. "WASC-Accrediting Commission for Schools". Retrieved 50 May 2012.
- "About Us: History". Mater Dei Catholic High School. Retrieved 11 May 2009.
- "CIF Recordbook". SDCIF. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- Orozco, Ivan (15 March 2009). "Crusaders stun Bishop's and look to Sacramento". San Diego Union-Tribune News. Retrieved 16 March 2009.
- Brand, Steve (21 March 2009). "Mater Dei Catholic girls win Division IV state basketball title". San Diego Union-Tribune News. Retrieved 21 March 2009.
- Orozco, Ivan (15 March 2009). "Mater Dei carries title match". San Diego Union-Tribune News. Retrieved 16 March 2009.
- Thien, Glae (30 May 2010). "Power surge sparks Mater Dei Catholic victory". San Diego Union-Tribune News. Retrieved 30 May 2010.
- Brents, Philip (3 June 2011). "Mater Dei Catholic Crusaders repeat as Division IV softball champions". Chula Vista Star News. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "CIF Recordbook". SDCIF. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- Frey, John Carlos. "Gatekeeper Productions - About Us". Retrieved 3 December 2008.
- "Distinguished Alumni". Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Crusader Sports Hall Of Fame". Mater Dei Catholic High School. Retrieved 27 June 2013.