Mater Health Services
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (October 2008)|
|Headquarters||Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
Mater Health Services is a public and private collocated hospital and health care provider located in and around the corner of Stanley Street and Annerley Road, South Brisbane, Queensland. Australia. Mater Health Services provides care for some 500,000 patients each year. The Mater was established in 1906 by the Sisters of Mercy. In 2002, Mater Health Services became an incorporated body, charged with the responsibility to continue the Mission of the Sisters of Mercy to “offer compassionate service to the sick and needy.”
The first Mater Hospital opened in a private house, "Aubigny", at North Quay in 1906. The house was converted into a 20 bed private hospital. In 1911, the funds generated by the first Mater Private Hospital, and its successor at South Brisbane, allowed the Sisters of Mercy to open a free public hospital for the city of Brisbane.
In 1931, the Mater Children’s Hospital was opened treating over 8,266 patients in its first year of operation. The Mater Mothers’ Hospital was officially opened in 1960 accommodating for 140 mothers.
- Mater was established in 1906 by the Sisters of Mercy.
- In 1919 Queensland’s first hospital laboratory was established at the Mater.
- In 1928, the Mater Public Hospital installed Queensland’s first deep X-ray therapy machine to treat cancer patients.
- In 1931 Mater opened the 80 bed Mater Children’s Hospital — the first Children’s Hospital south of the Brisbane river.
- In 1954 Mater established Queensland’s first Neurological Department.
- Also in 1954, eastern Australia’s first ‘Eye Bank’ opened at the Mater.
- In 1967 blood transfusions were performed on a baby in utero for the first time in Queensland.
- In 1987 Mater Children’s Hospital established Queensland’s first paediatric sleep unit.
- In 1989 the Mater Private Priority Emergency Centre was opened — the first in any Queensland hospital.
- In 1998, the Mater Children’s Private Hospital opens becoming Australia’s first private paediatric facility.
- In 2000, Mater Private Hospital — Redland is officially opened.
- In 2006 Mater Health Services becomes the first institution to win a Queensland Greats award
- In 2010 Mater Private Hospital Brisbane has become the first private hospital in Queensland to launch an automatic notification system for tissue donation. 
- Mater Children's Private Hospital
- Mater Mothers' Private Brisbane
- Mater Private Hospital Brisbane
- Mater Private Hospital Redland
- Mater Adult Hospital
- Mater Children's Hospital
- Mater Mothers' Hospital
- "The State Library of Queensland virtual exhibition item: "Aubigny," Brisbane". 2008-03-31. Retrieved 2008-11-03.
- "Debate.org: Mater Health Services". Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Queensland Greats Awards winners". Archived from the original on 2008-07-28. Retrieved 2008-11-30.
- "The Courier Mail article: They make state great". 2006-05-31. Retrieved 2008-11-03.[dead link]