Mateus Galiano da Costa
|Full name||Mateus Galiano da Costa|
|Date of birth||19 June 1984|
|Place of birth||Luanda, Angola|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 28 December 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
After playing in his first professional for modest Portuguese squads (he had a stint with Sporting Clube de Portugal, but never moved past its B-side) Mateus signed, in January 2006, with Gil Vicente F.C. in the top division. He scored in his debut on 5 February, in a 5–0 home win against Vitória de Setúbal.
However, Mateus was at the centre of a judicial controversy that erupted in Portuguese football, known as Caso Mateus (Mateus Affair), after a supposedly illegal registration by the Barcelos team. Following a lengthy judicial battle between Gil and C.F. Os Belenenses, the former were relegated.
After an uneventful season with Gil Vicente in the second level, greatly delayed by the legal consequences, Mateus joined Boavista F.C. for the 2007–08 campaign, with his new club also eventually being relegated for irregularities.
In 2008–09 Mateus moved to Madeira's C.D. Nacional, being an important offensive element – whether as starter or from the bench – as the club eventually qualified for the UEFA Europa League. He continued to be regularly played for the better part of the following years, notably netting nine goals in 24 games in the 2011–12 season.
He also added three substitute appearances in the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations, as the Palancas Negras reached the quarterfinals.
|1||29 April 2006||Setsoto, Maseru, Lesotho||Mauritius||
||2006 COSAFA Cup|
|2||30 April 2006||Setsoto, Maseru, Lesotho||Lesotho||
||2006 COSAFA Cup|
|3||8 October 2006||Cidadela, Luanda, Angola||Kenya||
||2008 Africa Cup of Nations qualification|
|4||12 August 2009||Restelo, Lisbon, Portugal||Togo||
|5||8 October 2011||24 de Setembro, Bissau, Guinea-Bissau||Guinea-Bissau||
||2012 Africa Cup of Nations qualification|
|6||14 January 2012||Chiazi, Cabinda, Angola||Sierra Leone||
|7||22 January 2012||Nuevo Estadio, Malabo, Equatorial Guinea||Burkina Faso||
||2012 Africa Cup of Nations|
- Gil Vicente-V. Setúbal, 5–0: Grande treino do Gil (Gil Vicente-V. Setúbal, 5–0: Great Gil training); Record, 6 February 2006 (Portuguese)
- Belenenses spared the drop; UEFA.com, 22 August 2006
- "Caso Mateus": Gil Vicente pede explicações ("Mateus Affair": Gil Vicente asks for explanations); Record, 11 July 2006 (Portuguese)
- Gil Vicente fica na Liga de Honra (Gil Vicente stays in Liga de Honra); Record, 15 January 2007 (Portuguese)
- Porto docked points, Boavista demoted; UEFA.com, 9 May 2008
- Angola 0–1 Portugal; BBC Sport, 11 June 2006
- Girabola official profile (Portuguese)
- Mateus at footballzz.co.uk
- Stats at ForaDeJogo
- Mateus at National-Football-Teams.com
- Soccerway profile