Matfield Green, Kansas
|Matfield Green, Kansas|
|• Total||0.14 sq mi (0.36 km2)|
|• Land||0.14 sq mi (0.36 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,316 ft (401 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||47|
|• Density||335.7/sq mi (129.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0477807|
For millennia, the land now known as Kansas was inhabited by Native Americans. In 1803, most of modern Kansas was secured by the United States as part of the Louisiana Purchase. In 1854, the Kansas Territory was organized, then in 1861 Kansas became the 34th U.S. state. In 1859, Chase County was founded.
Matfield Green is located at , in the scenic Flint Hills of the Great Plains. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.14 square miles (0.36 km2), all of it land.(38.159609, -96.562013).
Matfield Green has two ranches on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP): Crocker Ranch (NRHP). 1908-1940 Pioneer Bluffs Ranch (NRHP), approximately 1 mile north on K-177 Highway. Pioneer Bluffs is an early twentieth century ranch, consisting of one dozen vintage farm buildings.
As of the census of 2010, there were 47 people, 24 households, and 11 families residing in the city. The population density was 335.7 inhabitants per square mile (129.6 /km2). There were 36 housing units at an average density of 257.1 per square mile (99.3 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 100.0% White.
There were 24 households of which 16.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.7% were married couples living together, 4.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 54.2% were non-families. 37.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.96 and the average family size was 2.73.
The median age in the city was 58.8 years. 17% of residents were under the age of 18; 0.0% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 12.8% were from 25 to 44; 34.1% were from 45 to 64; and 36.2% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 51.1% male and 48.9% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 60 people, 31 households, and 18 families residing in the city. The population density was 314.9 people per square mile (121.9/km2). There were 34 housing units at an average density of 178.4 per square mile (69.1/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 100.00% White.
There were 31 households out of which 29.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.2% were married couples living together, and 41.9% were non-families. 38.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 22.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.94 and the average family size was 2.56.
In the city the population was spread out with 20.0% under the age of 18, 1.7% from 18 to 24, 23.3% from 25 to 44, 31.7% from 45 to 64, and 23.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 49 years. For every 100 females there were 114.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 128.6 males.
As of 2000 the median income for a household in the city was $27,500, and the median income for a family was $29,375. Males had a median income of $23,750 versus $14,375 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,642. There were 19.0% of families and 19.4% of the population living below the poverty line, including 35.7% of under eighteens and none of those over 64.
The Matfield Green government consists of a mayor and five council members. The council meets the 1st Monday of each month at 7PM.
- City Hall, 302 Orient Street.
Primary and secondary education
- Chase County Junior/Senior High School, 600 Main St in Cottonwood Falls.
- Chase County Elementary School, 401 Maple St in Cottonwood Falls.
K-177 highway and BNSF Railway both pass through Matfield Green. Even though the Kansas Turnpike toll road is somewhat close to Matfield Green, a driver must travel to the toll plaza in Cassoday to enter.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Chase County, Kansas
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Flint Hills Tourism Coalition
- National Register of Historic Places - Crocker Ranch
- National Register of Historic Places - Pioneer Bluffs Ranch
- Pioneer Bluffs Ranch web site
- 'PrairyErth' returns home; The Wichita Eagle, July 17, 2010
- Matfield Green - Directory of Public Officials
- USD 284
- Kansas School District Boundary Map
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matfield Green, Kansas.|
- Matfield Green, a "Quiet" town in Chase County, Kansas, History and photographs.
- TWA Flight 599 Memorial, Knute Rockne crash site.