Mathew Cullen grew up in Inglewood, California, the son of two teachers. In 2000, Cullen, who was just 23 at the time, founded Los Angeles-based production company Motion Theory. Since then, he has overseen the production of over 500 projects, and has himself directed and produced over 100 commercials and music videos, including global campaigns for IBM, Google, and HP. He has worked with artists such as Adele, Jay-Z, Katy Perry, Green Day, Taylor Swift, Pink, Beck and REM. Cullen won two consecutive Grammy Awards for directing Weezers “Pork and Beans,” the most blogged-about YouTube video of 2008, and Black Eyed Peas’ “Boom Boom Pow” His work on “Pork and Beans" garnered him a Guinness World Record for most memes in a video.
Rolling Stone named Cullen on its annual “Hot List” for his work as a music video director, and Wired called him one of six directors who are making music videos cool again. Mathew has been honored with over 100 industry awards, and his work has been inducted into the Museum of Modern Art on over a dozen occasions. His company Motion Theory was profiled in Fast Company as being one of the most innovative companies in the industry. In 2013, Indiewire named Mathew to their 2013 Influencers List.
In December 2010, he teamed up with renowned filmmaker Guillermo del Toro, Academy Award winning cinematographer Guillermo Navarro, and executive producer Javier Jimenez to launch Mirada Studios, “a studio designed for storytellers.” Mirada is equal parts design studio, visual effects & animation facility, creative and technology incubator, development and production company. Under Cullen's creative direction, Mirada has launched multi-platform storytelling experiences, including the IBM THINK Exhibit installation and tablet storytelling apps for iOS and Android, the design and animation for the Ro.me interactive music video, and a visually-driven living storybook for Cornelia Funke's MirrorWorld series.
Cullen is currently attached to direct and produce a supernatural thriller at DreamWorks and is producing films at Warner Brothers and Paramount. He designed and directed the prologue to Guillermo del Toro's blockbuster Pacific Rim, and is currently directing the feature film London Fields, based off the acclaimed novel by Martin Amis, starring Billy Bob Thornton, Amber Heard, Jim Sturgess and Theo James.
Mathew serves on the Board of Trustees for Film Independent.
- 2010 MTV EMA Video of the Year-Katy Perry "California Gurls"
- 2010 Emmy Award-Commercial-NFL Network "Run"
- 2009 Grammy Best Short Form Music Video-Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow"
- 2008 Grammy Best Short Form Music Video-Weezer "Pork and Beans"
- 2008 MTV EMA Video of the Year Nominee-Weezer "Pork and Beans"
- 2008 Guinness World Record-"Most Internet Memes in a Music Video" for Weezer's "Pork and Beans"
- 2008 MTV VMA Best Editing Nominee-Weezer "Pork and Beans"
- 2008 MTV VMA Best Choreography Nominee-Adele "Chasing Pavements"
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (September 2013)|
- JWT Intelligence #http://www.jwtintelligence.com/2011/03/qa-mathew-cullen-co-founder-studio-mirada-2/
- Fast Company #http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/122/loco-motion.html
- Flux #http://www.flux.net/who-is-mathew-cullen
- LA Weekly #http://www.laweekly.com/2008-05-15/news/heart-and-soul/