||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013)|
|Born||January 9, 1952|
|Origin||Gadsden, Alabama, USA|
|Occupations||Businessman, music manager, record producer|
|Associated acts||Destiny's Child
Mathew Knowles (born January 9, 1952) is an American music executive, businessman, record producer, and manager. He is the father of Beyoncé Knowles, and Solange Knowles and former manager of Beyoncé, Kelly Rowland, Michelle Williams, LeToya Luckett, LaTavia Roberson and Destiny's Child.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (December 2013)|
Knowles began his business career in sales of office and medical equipment. He moved to Houston in 1976 and worked for the Xerox Corporation for 10 years, primarily in the medical-systems sales division. Knowles afterward worked selling a CT/MRI diagnostic imaging equipment to hospitals and health facilities. He also worked in neurosurgical sales. In 1992 Knowles left this career to devote himself to his music company, Music World Entertainment, which he founded that year
Knowles established several recording imprints under Music World Entertainment, including Music World Gospel, Music World Kids, and Music World Country/Compadre. The label has produced many artists such as Beyoncé Knowles, Solange Knowles, From Above, Sunshine Anderson, Trin-i-tee 5:7, The Pastor Rudy Experience, and J. Xavier. Knowles also established joint ventures with Sony Music, Interscope/Geffen, Fontana/Universal, Integrity Africa, Fontana International, and Sony Brazil.
In 2002 Knowles founded Spirit Rising Music, which became Music World Gospel. Its artists include Vanessa Bell Armstrong, Brian Courtney Wilson, Micah Stampley, Juanita Bynum, Le'Andria Johnson, Amber Bullock, Andrea Helms, and Elder Goldwire. In 2007, through Music World Music, Knowles acquired the country music catalog Compadre, which includes Johnny Cash, Billy Joe Shaver, James McMurty, Trent Willmon, and Kate Campbell. Knowles also launched the family-oriented music imprint, Music World Kids. The label has released youth projects that include Baby Jamz, Krazy Kuzins, Kid's Rap Radio, and the Music World Kids CD 5-pack. The venture also has released music from Nickelodeon’s popular cartoon series, Wow! Wow! Wubbzy!.
Knowles became manager of the vocal trio Destiny's Child, working as either a producer or an executive producer on many of the group's projects. Under Music World Artist Management, Destiny's Child became a top-selling group, and winning several awards include the Grammy Award, the American Music Award, BET Awards, and many others. Billboard magazine inducted the group into the All Time Hot 100 Artists. Following the departure of his daughter Beyoncé from the group, Knowles managed the solo careers of the other members of Destiny's Child, Michelle Williams and Kelly Rowland.
In addition to his work in music, Knowles is also one of the executive producers of the 2009 thriller Obsessed, which stars Beyoncé. He is also executive producer of, and is featured in, two reality series: The UK's Chancers, and MTV International's Breaking From Above.
Knowles was raised in Gadsden, Alabama, the son of Miriam and Mathew Knowles. He is a 1974 graduate of Fisk University in Nashville, Tennessee, where he earned both a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration. Knowles holds a professorship at Texas Southern University, where he teaches a course on the entertainment industry in the School of Communications. Knowles is the recipient of the Century Award of Excellence (1911–2011) from the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. He also received the 2011 Living Legends Foundation Award and was named the "2007 International Executive of the Year" by the Greater Houston Partnership. Knowles is an active and longtime voting member of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (NARAS) and serves on its GRAMMY Board Committee. In 2011, he was appointed to the Board of Directors of the Gospel Music Association.
Knowles was married to stylist and House of Dereon owner Tina Knowles in 1980. Together, they had two daughters, R&B singers Beyoncé and Solange Knowles. On November 11, 2009, Tina Knowles filed for divorce after several reports about Matthew's affair with actress Alexsandra Wright had surfaced. The reports went as far as claiming that Wright was pregnant with Knowles' child. After Wright's son Nixon was born, she requested a paternity test from Knowles, who had admitted to having an affair with her. The paternity test was positive and Knowles was ordered to pay child support to Nixon and Wright.
- Norment, Lynn (September 2001). "THE UNTOLD STORY OF HOW Tina & Mathew Knowles Created The Destiny's Child Gold Mine – Interview". Ebony. FindArticles.com. Retrieved 4 March 2010.
- Destiny's Child inducted into Billboard All Time Hot 100 Artists
- Beyonce Knowles | Beyonce Knowles' Dad Sings To Blue Ivy | Contactmusic
- Bachelor, Blane (March 25, 2010). "BUZZ: Paternity Test Confirms Beyoncé's Dad a Dad Again". People.
- Music World Entertainment
- Mathew Knowles Best
- "Mathew Knowles' Reality Show ‘Breaking From Above' Premieres In America". Huffington Post. June 26, 2012. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- Williams, Brennan (July 6, 2012). "Mathew Knowles Talks New Destiny's Child Album, Blue Ivy, Reality Television". Huffington Post. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- Fekadu, Mesfin (November 17, 2011). "Mathew Knowles is back with new girl group". Boston Globe (Boston, MA). Associated Press. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- "Mathew Knowles appointed to gospel board". Houston Business Journal (Houston, TX). February 17, 2011. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- Cox, Tony (November 27, 2006). "Mathew Knowles on Fatherhood and Beyonce". National Public Radio. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- Infantry, Ashante (March 20, 2005). "A parent who knows his Destiny; Crave stardom? Meet Mathew Knowles and get ready to work". Toronto Star (Toronto, ON). p. C09. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- Billboard – Google Books
- Spiritual Journeys: How Faith Has Influenced Twelve Music Icons – Various – Google Books
- Billboard – Google Books
- Beyonce's Parents Mathew and Tina Knowles Finally Divorce After 31 Years Of Marriage
- Beyonce's parents Mathew and Tina Knowles divorce after 31 years of marriage | Mail Online