Turisas performing at Jalometalli 2008
|Past members||See former member section|
Turisas is a folk metal band, incorporating elements of power metal and symphonic metal along with frequent harsh vocals. Turisas is known to play most of their solos on electric violin, as opposed to traditional guitar solos.
- 1 Battle Metal (2004–2007)
- 2 The Varangian Way (2007–2010)
- 3 Stand Up And Fight (2011–2012)
- 4 Turisas2013 (2013)
- 5 Discography
- 6 Band members
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Battle Metal (2004–2007)
On 28 October 2005, guitarist Georg Laakso was badly injured in a car accident and due to the extent of his spinal cord injuries, on 12 July 2006 issued a statement of his permanent resignation from the band on the official website. Nevertheless, the band continued to work on their second album, titled The Varangian Way, which was released in early 2007. Jussi Wickström recorded all guitars on the album.
Mathias Nygård revealed in the January 2007 edition of Terrorizer magazine that the touring musicians Hannes Horma, Olli Vänskä, Janne Mäkinen and Antti Laurila had been added to the band as full-time members, taking them up to an 8-piece act. It later turned out that of the two accordion players, only Mäkinen had become an official member. Laurila is no longer a touring musician for the band. On 19 February 2007, keyboardist Antti Ventola posted a message on the Turisas discussion forum announcing that he and the band had parted ways. This was later confirmed by the rest of the band. Mathias Nygård performed the keyboards on The Varangian Way and Turisas are presently using backing tracks to replicate them on stage.
The Varangian Way (2007–2010)
In January 2008, accordion player Janne "Lisko" Mäkinen disappeared mysteriously in Amsterdam. For the upcoming tour dates in spring 2008 Turisas announced Netta Skog as a step-in accordionist. She had already helped the band on the European tour in October–November 2007. Netta was soon after added to the band on a full-time base.
After a string of festivals in the Summer of 2008, in September the band started a long tour through the United States and Europe in support of DragonForce. This tour ended in March 2009, and the band then took part in a new European tour with Cradle of Filth and Moonspell, dubbed the "Filthfest Tour 2009", in April and May 2009. The band played at Wacken Open Air in early August 2009 and also played at Bloodstock Open Air in Mid August 2009. The band took time off at the end of 2009 to make a new album and then planned to return as fully-fledged band no longer supporting others. In 2010 the band concentrated on finishing the recordings of the upcoming third album. Still, the band did a short tour in Asia and Australia in May 2010, including headline concerts in Sydney and Melbourne, two gigs in China, a gig in Shanghai World Expo 2010 and a gig in Japan.
Stand Up And Fight (2011–2012)
As of March 2010, Turisas announced they were in the studio working on a new album; at that time, the band documented the recording process in a series of studio diary videos on YouTube. The title for the latest album, Stand Up and Fight, was revealed on 11 November 2010: the album was released through Century Media on 28 February in Europe and 8 March in North America. A new song off that album: "The March of the Varangian Guard" was performed at the band's Finnish gigs in October 2010  On 17 December 2010, the title track "Stand Up And Fight" was released as a free download on the band's website.
The band took part in tours in Mexico and North America with Cradle of Filth, the other supporting bands being Nachtmystium and Daniel Lioneye beginning in January 2011 and in Europe with Die Apokalyptischen Reiter from March through April 2011. Their England tour came with Crimfall as the supporting band, as well as other local supporting bands. 2012 saw them headline the North American "Paganfest: America Part III" tour with Alestorm, Arkona and Huntress in tow.
In November 2012, the band announced they had started work on their fourth album titled Turisas2013. The album is to be released 23 August 2013 in Finland/Germany/Austria and Switzerland. It will be released in North America 3 September 2013.
- "To Holmgard and Beyond" (2007)
- "Rasputin" (2007)
- "Supernaut" (2010)
- "Stand Up and Fight" (2010)
- "For Your Own Good" (2013)
- Taiston Tie – The Battle Path (1998)
- Terra Tavestorum (1999)
- The Heart of Turisas (2001)
|Battle Metal||Battle Metal||4:23||2008||Century Media|
|Rasputin||The Varangian Way||3:56||2007||Century Media|
|Stand Up and Fight||Stand Up and Fight||5:28||2011||Century Media|
|Ten More Miles||Turisas 2013||4:17||2013||Century Media|
- Mathias "Warlord" Nygård – vocals, keyboard, percussion (since 1997)
- Jussi Wickström – guitar, backing vocal (since 1997)
- Jesper Anastasiadis – bass guitar (since 2012)
- Jaakko Jakku – drums, percussion (since 2012)
- Olli Vänskä – violin, backing vocal (since 2005)
- Janne Mäkinen – accordion (2005–2008)
- Antti Ventola – keyboard (1997–2007)
- Georg Laakso – guitar (ex-Cadacross) (2000–2006)
- Ari Kärkkäinen – guitar (1997–1999)
- Sami Aarnio – bass guitar
- Tino Ahola – bass guitar
- Mikko Törmikoski – bass guitar (until 2004)
- Hannes "Hanu" Horma – bass guitar (2005–2011)
- Netta Skog – accordion (2007–2011)
- Jukka-Pekka Miettinen – bass guitar (ex-Ensiferum) (2011–2012)
- Tuomas "Tude" Lehtonen – drums, percussion (1997–2012)
- Robert Engstrand – keyboard (2011-2014)
Former live session musicians
- Riku Ylitalo – accordion, keyboards
- Wincef Boncamper – accordion
- Antti Laurila – accordion
- Komodo Rock | Turisas Release Making of Rasputin Video
- "Cradle of Filth, Moonspell, Turisas to team up for "Filthfest Tour"". Blabbermouth.net. 26 February 2009. Retrieved 26 February 2009.
- http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/bands-line-up.php, Bloodstock Open Air Festival 2009 lineup.
- http://www.youtube.com/user/turisasofficial, Official YouTube channel of Turisas
- "TURISAS: Performance Footage Of Brand New Song Available". Roadrunner Records. 1 November 2010. Retrieved 13 November 2010.
- "CRADLE OF FILTH Announces North American Headlining Tour". Blabbermouth.net. 25 October 2010. Retrieved 13 November 2010.
- "Turisas: "Stand Up And Fight" out 2011, tour w/ Die Apokalyptischen Reiter confirmed". Century Media Records. 11 November 2010. Retrieved 13 November 2010.
- "Turisas in studio recording a new album, annouces line-up change". Turisas.com. 19 November 2012. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- BLABBERMOUTH.NET – TURISAS: New Album Title, Release Dates Announced
- Turisas – New Album Title, Cover, Release Date Unveiled
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Turisas.|
- Official website
- Century Media Records
- Turisas on Myspace
- Interview with Turisas at ME Metalhour
- Olli´s Interview – HallOfMetal
- Official YouTube channel