Location of Mathiston, Mississippi
|• Total||2.5 sq mi (6.4 km2)|
|• Land||2.5 sq mi (6.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||420 ft (128 m)|
|• Density||280/sq mi (110/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0673240|
Mathiston is located at . Most of the town is in Webster County with a portion on the south side extending into Choctaw County. In the 2000 census, 643 of the town's 720 residents (89.3%) lived in Webster County and 77 (10.7%) in Choctaw County.(33.536549, -89.126529)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.5 square miles (6.4 km²), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 720 people, 294 households, and 194 families residing in the town. The population density was 289.7 people per square mile (111.6/km²). There were 323 housing units at an average density of 130.0 per square mile (50.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 80.00% White, 18.33% African American, 0.69% Asian, 0.69% from other races, and 0.28% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.81% of the population.
There were 294 households out of which 33.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.7% were married couples living together, 13.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.7% were non-families. 32.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the town the population was spread out with 27.8% under the age of 18, 9.9% from 18 to 24, 24.3% from 25 to 44, 22.1% from 45 to 64, and 16.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 82.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 75.7 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $23,125, and the median income for a family was $28,889. Males had a median income of $27,875 versus $23,472 for females. The per capita income for the town was $12,222. About 21.4% of families and 25.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 42.5% of those under age 18 and 25.2% of those age 65 or over.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Mathiston has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- American FactFinder Reference Map
- "Subcounty population estimates: Mississippi 2000-2006" (CSV). United States Census Bureau, Population Division. 2007-06-28. Retrieved 2007-07-21.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Kanengiser, Andy. "Probation survived by 2 Ala. schools." The Clarion-Ledger. December 12, 2004. Main A1. Retrieved on March 1, 2011. "A couple of years earlier, Wood College in Mathiston also lost SACS accreditation and eventually closed its doors."
- Climate Summary for Mathiston, Mississippi