Nastasić playing for Manchester City in 2012
|Full name||Matija Nastasić|
|Date of birth||28 March 1993|
|Place of birth||Valjevo, FR Yugoslavia|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Current club||Manchester City|
|2010–2011||→ Teleoptik (loan)||21||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 14:24, 24 November 2013 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Matija Nastasić is a product of Partizan youth academy. Unable to find space in the Partizan first team setup, he was sent out on loan to Serbian second division side FK Teleoptik from Zemun. There, the young, left footed centre back made 21 appearances and caught the eye of former Fiorentina sporting director Pantaleo Corvino, who signed him in a deal worth approximately €2.5 million.
Nastasić spent some time in the Fiorentina youth side but, due to a lack of quality centre backs in the squad and suspensions and injuries, Nastasić trained with the first team on many occasions. Fellow Serbian and Fiorentina manager Siniša Mihajlović handed him his Serie A debut on 11 September 2011 in a 2-0 win against Bologna. He went on to make a further 25 appearances that season but one stood out more than any and it was during this performance that he announced himself to Italian and World football. It was a match between La Viola and Milan at the Stadio Artemio Franchi. Nastasić showed many of his qualities - quality tackling, comfort on the ball, tactical astuteness. It was these qualities that led to a deadline day transfer to English Premier League side Manchester City in a move worth €15 million, excluding the value of Stefan Savić who was given to Fiorentina as part of the exchange.
Nastasić signed a five-year contract with new club Manchester City, ending on 30 June 2017. He was part of an exchange deal with Stefan Savić. He made his debut for the club on 18 September 2012, starting in a Champions League away fixture against Real Madrid in Santiago Bernabéu Stadium. He made his Premier League debut on 29 September in a 2–1 win against Fulham. He cemented his place in the starting XI and his great form won him the club's Player of the Month Award for November. Quickly becoming a fan favourite, the youngster pushed 30-year-old Joleon Lescott out of the starting lineup in centre-back position. He seemed to have got his first goal for the club on 2 November 2013 against Norwich in a 7-0 win. However, the dubious goals panel ruled that it was an own goal.
- As of match played 5 November 2013.
|Club performance||League||National Cup||League Cup||Continental||Total|
|Italy||League||Coppa Italia||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|England||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|2012–13||Manchester City||Premier League||21||0||1||0||1||0||5||0||28||0|
- Manchester City Young Player of the Year: 2012–13
- "Barclays Premier League Squad Numbers 2013/14". Premier League. 16 August 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- Summer 2012 British Transfers
- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/9513408/Manchester-City-sign-Matija-Nastasic-as-Stefan-Savic joins at the same time.html
- "Fulham 1-2 Manchester City" BBC Sport. 29 September 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "Premier League on Twitter". Twitter. 8 November 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- Mondo (Serbian): Matija Nastasić ponos Valjeva 3 January 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matija Nastasić.|
- Profile at Manchester City Official Website
- Matija Nastasić career stats at Soccerbase
- Matija Nastasić – UEFA competition record
- Matija Nastasić profile at Soccerway