Nastasić in training with Schalke 04 in 2015.
|Full name||Matija Nastasić|
|Date of birth||28 March 1993|
|Place of birth||Valjevo, FR Yugoslavia|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2010–2011||→ Teleoptik (loan)||21||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 12 April 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
He began his career at Partizan, and after a loan to Teleoptik joined Fiorentina in 2011. After one season there he transferred to Manchester City for €15 million and a swap with Stefan Savić, winning the Premier League in 2014, despite injury problems. In 2015 he joined Schalke, initially on loan.
Nastasić made his senior international debut for Serbia in 2012, and has gone on to earn over 15 caps.
Matija Nastasić is a product of Partizan youth academy. Unable to find space in the Partizan first team setup, he was sent out on loan to Serbian second division side FK Teleoptik from Zemun. There, the young, left footed centre back made 21 appearances and caught the eye of former Fiorentina sporting director Pantaleo Corvino, who signed him in a deal worth approximately €2.5 million.
Nastasić spent some time in the Fiorentina youth side but, due to a lack of quality centre backs in the squad and suspensions and injuries, he trained with the first team on many occasions. Fellow Serbian and Fiorentina manager Siniša Mihajlović handed him his Serie A debut on 11 September 2011 in a 2–0 win against Bologna. He went on to make a further 25 appearances that season but one stood out more than any and it was during this performance that he announced himself to Italian and World football. It was a match between La Viola and Milan at the Stadio Artemio Franchi. Nastasić showed many of his qualities - tackling, comfort on the ball, tactical astuteness. It was these qualities that led to a deadline day transfer to English Premier League side Manchester City in a move worth €15 million, excluding the value of Stefan Savić who was given to Fiorentina as part of the exchange.
Nastasić signed a five-year contract with new club Manchester City, ending on 30 June 2017. He was part of an exchange deal with Stefan Savić. He made his debut for the club on 18 September 2012, starting in a Champions League away fixture against Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium. He made his Premier League debut on 29 September in a 2–1 win against Fulham. He cemented his place in the starting XI and his great form won him the club's Player of the Month Award for November. Quickly becoming a fan favourite, the youngster pushed 30-year-old Joleon Lescott out of the starting lineup in centre-back position. In May 2013, he was named Manchester City's Young Player of the Season.
On 13 January 2015, having not featured for City during the season, he was loaned to German club Schalke 04 for its remainder. He made his debut on 31 January, starting in a 1–0 home win over Hannover 96. Having not featured in the Champions League that season, he featured in both legs of Schalke's elimination by Real Madrid in the Last 16.
On 11 March 2015, Schalke 04 activated the transfer clause on his loan deal, and Nastasić signed a four-year contract with the German club.
- As of 10 March 2014
- As of match played 29 March 2015
|Serbian national team|
- Manchester City Young Player of the Year: 2012–13
- "Barclays Premier League Squad Numbers 2013/14". Premier League. 16 August 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Matija Nastasic Player Profile". Premier League. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Summer 2012 British Transfers
- "Manchester City sign Matija Nastasic as Stefan Savic departs for Fiorentina". The Telegraph. 31 August 2012. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- "Fulham 1-2 Manchester City" BBC Sport. 29 September 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "Brazil World Cup squad: Scolari leaves out Kaká and Philippe Coutinho". Manchester City Football Club. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Pellegrini admits Nastasic injury is still baffling City". Manchester Evening News. 11 April 2014. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Games played by Matija Nastasic in 2013/2014". soccerbase.com. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- "Manchester City loan Matija Nastasic to Schalke". BBC Sport. 13 January 2015. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "TEN-MAN SCHALKE HOLD ON TO BEAT HANNOVER". Bundesliga. 31 January 2015. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- Uersfeld, Stephan. "Matija Nastasic signs for Schalke from Man City in permanent transfer". ESPN FC. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- Mondo (Serbian): Matija Nastasić ponos Valjeva 3 January 2013
- "Serbia - M.Nastasić - Profile with news, career statistics and history". Soccerway. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matija Nastasić.|
- Profile at Manchester City Official Website
- Matija Nastasić career statistics at Soccerbase
- Matija Nastasić – UEFA competition record
- Matija Nastasić profile at Soccerway