- This article is about an American horse race. For the Australian horse race, see Matriarch Stakes (Australia).
|Grade 1 race|
|Location||Del Mar Racetrack
formerly run at the now closed Hollywood Park Racetrack
Inglewood, California, United States
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Website||Del Mar website|
|Distance||1 mile (8 furlongs)|
|Qualification||Three-year-olds & up|
The Matriarch Stakes is an American Grade I turf race for thoroughbred horses now run during Del Mar Racetrack's Fall Meet (relocated from Hollywood Park Racetrack in Inglewood, California) for a current purse of $300,000. The race is open to fillies and mares, age three and up, and is contested over a distance of one mile (8 furlongs.
Like all Fall turf stakes, the race was on hiatus in 2005 due to problems with Hollywood Park's grass course.
Inaugurated in 1981 as a weight-for age race, since inception the Matriarch has been contested at various distances:
- 1 mile : 2003 to present
- 1 1⁄8 miles : 1981-1994, 1998-2002
- 1 1⁄4 miles : 1995-1998
The Matriarch Stakes was run in two divisions in 1982.
- 1:33.58 - Ventura (2009) (at current distance of 1 mile)
- 1:46.14 - Flawlessly (1992) (at previous distance of 1 1⁄8 miles)
- 3 - Flawlessly (1991, 1992, 1993)
Most wins by a jockey:
- 5 - Chris McCarron (1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 2000)
Most wins by a trainer:
- 8 - Robert J. Frankel (1996, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007)
Most wins by an owner :
- 6 - Juddmonte Farms (1996, 1997, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2009)