Mats Gustafsson during a concert in 2010
29 October 1964 |
Gustafsson first came to the attention of lovers of improvised music as part of a duo with Christian Munthe (started in 1986), as member of Gunter Christmann's Vario project and the band Gush (started in 1988). He later played widely with musicians such as Gunter Christmann, Peter Brötzmann, Joe McPhee, Paul Lovens, Barry Guy, Yoshimi P-We, Derek Bailey, Magnus Broo, Otomo Yoshihide, Jim O'Rourke, Thomas Lehn, Evan Parker, Misha Mengelberg, Zu, The Ex and Sonic Youth.
Since the early 1990s Gustafsson has been a regular visitor to the United States, forming a particular affinity with Chicago musicians such as Hamid Drake, Michael Zerang and Ken Vandermark and recording for the city's OkkaDisk label. This resulted in a more traditional "free jazz" style in contrast to his innovative early work with European improvising musicians.
In addition to projects with musicians, Gustafsson has worked extensively with artists from the worlds of dance, theatre, poetry and painting.
- Gunter Christmann
- Barry Guy
- Paul Lovens
- Raymond Strid
- Kjell Nordeson
- Paal Nilssen-Love
- Ingebrigt Håker Flaten
- Joe McPhee
- Ken Vandermark
- Mademoiselle Karen
- Sonic Youth on Hidros 3 (To Patti Smith) and SYR8: Andre Sider Af Sonic Youth
- Zu on How To Raise an Ox
- Colin Stetson on Stones
Gustafsson curated the Perspectives festivals in Västerås, Sweden in 2004, 2007 and 2009. This festival of musical improvisation is noted for its cross-genre character and creative atmosphere among musicians. The festival slogan for 2004 was "Fight Global Stupidity", 2007 "Fight Local Stupidity" and for 2009 it became "Fight (y)our stupidity".
Gustafsson was also joint curator of the 2010 Konfrontationen festival in Nickelsdorf, Austria.
- 1991: Nothing to Read (Blue Tower Records), with Paul Lovens
- 1995: Parrot Fish Eye (Okka Disk)
- 1995: For Don Cherry (Blue Tower Records), with Hamid Drake
- 1996: Mouth Eating Trees And Related Activities (Okka Disk), with Barry Guy & Paul Lovens
- 1997: Frogging (Maya Recordings), with Barry Guy
- 1997: Impropositions. Solo Saxophone (Phono Suecia)
- 1999: The Education of Lars Jerry (Xeric), solo Saxophone
- 1999: Hidros One (Caprice Records), with Nu-Ensemblen
- 2000: Port Huron Picnic (Spool), with Kurt Newman & Mike Gennaro
- 2002: The School Days and Thing (Anagram Records), the music of Norman Howard presented by Mats Gustafsson
- 2003: Blues (Atavistic), with David Stackenäs
- 2004: Hidros 3 (Smalltown Supersound), Sonic Youth With Friends
- 2005: Slide (Firework Edition Records), solo Saxophone
- 2005: Catapult (Doubtmusic), solo Baritone saxophone
- 2007: It Is All About... (Tyfus), solo Baritone saxophone & flute
- 2007: Words on the Floor (Smalltown Superjazzz), with Yoshimi P-We
- 2008: Mats G Plays Duke E (Qbico)
- 2008: Cosmic Debris Volume IV (Opax), with My Cat Is An Alien
- 2008: The Vilnius Implosion (NoBusiness Records), solo Baritone saxophone & flute
- 2008: Mats G Plays Duke E (Qbico)
- 2009: Mats G. Plays Albert A. (Qbico)
- 2012: Baro 101 (Terp Records), with Paal Nilssen-Love & Mesele Asmamaw
- 2012: Mats G. Plays Gullin (Sagittarius A-Star)
- 2012: Birds (dEN Records), with John Russell & Raymond Strid
- 2012: Bengt (Utech Records), solo Saxophone
- 2013: Eissalon (Live) (Rock Is Hell Records), with Didi Kern
- 2013: Vi Är Alla Guds Slavar (Otoroku), with Thurston Moore
- 1995: Dolphins, Dolphins, Dolphins (Dragon Records)
- 1996: Improvisors (Kontrans)
- With Jim O'Rourke
- 1999: Xylophonen Virtuosen (Incus Records)
- With David Grubbs
- 1999: Apertura (Blue Chopsticks)
- 2002: Off-Road (Blue Chopsticks)
- 2000: New York – Ystad (Olof Bright)
- 2002: They Were Gentle and Pretty Pigs (The Beak Doctor)
- With Agustí Fernández
- 2005: Critical Mass (psi)
- With Paal Nilssen-Love
- 2005: Splatter (Smalltown Superjazzz)
- 2008: Andre Sider Af Sonic Youth (Sonic Youth Records)
- With Barry Guy Solo/Duo
- 2009: Sinners, Rather than Saints (NoBusiness Records)
- With Gord Grdina Trio
- 2010: Barrel Fire (Drip Audio)
- 2011: Live at the South Bank (Smalltown Superjazzz)
- With The Sons Of God
- 2011: Reception (Firework Edition Records)
- With Colin Stetson
- 2012: Stones (Rune Grammofon)
- With Ich Bin N!ntendo including Christian Skår Winther, Joakim Heibø Johansen & Magnus Skavhaug Nergaard
- 2012: Ich Bin N!ntendo & Mats Gustafsson (Va Fongool)
- 2013: Breakin the Lab! (Discordian Records)
- With Correction
- 2013: Shift (Otoroku)
- With Ken Vandermark
- 2013: Verses (Corbett vs. Dempsey)
- T. Millroth: "Aaly Trio", Orkester journalen, lvi/4 (1988), 11 .
- M. Chaloin: "Mats Gustafsson", Improjazz, no.19 (1995), 6.
- W. Montgomery: "Mats Gustafsson: Flow Motion", Wire, no.164 (1997), 18.
- J. Hale: "Mats Gustafsson", Coda, no.288 (1999), 17.
- "Mats Gustafsson wins the Nordic Council Music Prize 2011". Musikpris.org. 2011-06-01. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Perspectives 2004 - Festival for Creative Music". NyaPerspektiv.se. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Konfrontationen Nickelsdorf 2010". Konfrontationen.at. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "MIch Bin N!ntendo & Mats Gustafsson". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Mats Gustafsson Discography". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- http://www.mic.stim.se/engelsk/11/facts/gustafssonm.html (1999) (unavailable?)
- http://www.shef.ac.uk/misc/rec/ps/efi/mgustafs.html (1999) [incl. discography].
- J. Guthartz: discography and index of compositions (2000).
- http://www.matsgus.com/ The official Mats Gustafsson web page