Location of Matsubara in Osaka Prefecture
|• Mayor||Takanori Nakano|
|• Total||16.66 km2 (6.43 sq mi)|
|Population (January 1, 2010 estimate)|
|• Density||7,470/km2 (19,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|- Tree||Pine (Matsu)|
|- Flower||Rose (Bara)|
|Address||1-1-1 Ao, Matsubara-shi, Ōsaka-fu
Hannan University is located in Matsubara. Hannan University is a mid-sized liberal arts university with a focus on business and technology.
The Yamato, Nishi-Yoke, and Higashi-Yoke rivers flow through Matsubara.
In the 5th century AD, Emperor Hanzei is believed to have had his palace, Tajihi Shibagaki-no-Miya (丹比柴籬宮) in the area. The area that now comprises Matsubara was located in the historical Kawachi Province, which is still considered the (non-municipal) subregion to which it belongs. During the Edo Period, Matsubara was the administrative center of the Tannan Domain (丹南藩, -han), whose Tannan Encampment was located in present-day Tannan, Matsubara City.
- 1889 (Meiji 22), April 1: The villages of Matsubara, Amami, Nunose, Miyake, and Ega are designated as part of Tanboku District.
- 1896 (Meiji 29), April 1: Naka-Kawachi District is created, consolidated from the former districts of Tanboku, Takayasu, Ōgata, Kawachi, Wakae, and Shibukawa. The above villages thus become part of Naka-Kawachi District.
- 1942 (Shōwa 17), July 1: The village of Matsubara is promoted to Town status, becoming Matsubara-chō, Naka-Kawachi District.
- 1947 (Shōwa 22), January 1: The village of Amami is promoted to Town status, becoming Amami-chō, Naka-Kawachi District.
- 1955 (Shōwa 30), February 1: The towns of Matsubara and Amami, along with the villages of Nunose, Miyake, and Ega, are consolidated into Matsubara City, Osaka Prefecture's 21st city.
- 1957 (Shōwa 32)
- 1964 (Shōwa 39): The Kita-Wakabayashi area was made part of Yao City.
- Tsukigase-mura, Yamabe District, Nara (now part of Nara City)
- Friendship agreement since September 7, 1985
- Matsubara City official website (Japanese)
|This Osaka Prefecture location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|