Overview of Matsuda Town
Location of Matsuda in Kanagawa Prefecture
|• Total||37.75 km2 (14.58 sq mi)|
|Population (June 1, 2012)|
|• Density||307/km2 (800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|- Bird||Japanese Wagtail|
|Address||2037 Shoryo, Matsuda-machi, Ashigarakami-gun, Kanagawa-ken 258-8585|
|Website||Town of Matsuda HP|
Matsuda (松田町 Matsuda-machi?) is a town located in Ashigarakami District, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan. As of June 2012, the town had an estimated population of 11,595 and a population density of 307 persons per km2. The total land area of the town is 37.75 km2.
Matsuda is located in hilly western Kanagawa Prefecture, within the Tanzawa Mountains.Since the town lies on an active fault, the local government has been preparing for a possible magnitude-8 earthquake in the upcoming century.
During the Edo period area around present-day Matsuda was part of Odawara Domain in Sagami Province. After the Meiji Restoration, it became part of Ashigarakami District in Kanagawa Prefecture. On April 1, 1889 Ashikagakami District was administratively divided into several villages, including the villages of Yadoriki and Matsuda. The growth of Matsuda was favored by the opening of Matsuda Station the same year, and it attained town status on April 1, 1909. Shin-Matsuda Station opened in 1927. On April 1, 1955 Yadoriki merged into Matsuda. A new town charter was promulgated in 1989, leading to the "Matsuda Plan 21" in the year 2001.
"Matsuda Town Charter"
- Endowed with the best water sources and healthy vegetation, our town promotes a key focus on keeping our rivers and lands clean.
- Good people and a rich culture create a redolent town.
- Healthy minds and healthy bodies cause the town to overflow with vitality.
- Friendly neighborly relations and peace of mind complement each other to produce harmony.
- Cooperation amongst individuals widen the depth of the town.
"Matsuda Plan 21" Focus Areas
- Urban Eco-Friendly
- Safe and Comfortable Living
- Urban Area Filled with Vitality and Charm
- Urban Area Filled with Rich Culture
- Connect Citizens to Regional and City Planning
Some local attractions include Sakawa River fishing, Tanzawa Mountain Range hiking, paragliding & camping, and blueberry, tangerine,and sweet potato harvesting. Other attractions include the local matsuri, the Matsudayama Herb Garden, Children's Museum, Nature Hall, & Ridable Miniature Railway, the Yadoriki Petting Zoo & Dog Park, Yadoriki Fishing Area, 2 golf courses, and the Matsuda Health & Welfare Center onsen .
- Matsuda Sakura Festival (late February)
- Wakaba Festival (May 5)
- Herb Festival (June and October)
- Yadoriki Hotaru (Firefly) Festival (June)
- Matsuda Tourism Festival (August)
- Emmei Temple Festival (December 28)
Sister City relations
- - Yokoshibahikari, Chiba, Japan, from November 3, 2003.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matsuda, Kanagawa.|
- Town of Matsuda in Japanese
- Matsuda Police Station in Japanese
- Matsuda Tourism Association in Japanese