|Former municipality of Switzerland|
|• Total||41.27 km2 (15.93 sq mi)|
|Elevation||831 m (2,726 ft)|
|Highest elevation (Foostock)||2,610 m (8,560 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||805 m (2,641 ft)|
|Population (December 2013)|
|• Density||8.7/km2 (23/sq mi)|
|Localities||Matt, Trämlingen, Auen, Brumbach Stalden, Weissenberge|
|Surrounded by||Elm, Engi, Flums (SG), Mels (SG), Schwanden|
Matt is first mentioned in 1273 as Mattun.
Matt has an area, as of 2006[update], of 41.3 km2 (15.9 sq mi). Of this area, 39.6% is used for agricultural purposes, while 32.4% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.8% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (27.2%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
The Sernftalbus operates an hourly bus service linking Matt with Schwanden railway station, Elm, and other communities in the valley of the Sernf river between them. The service replaces the Sernftal tramway that operated between 1905 and 1969, over a similar route. At Schwanden railway station, a connecting railway service runs to the capital of the canton of Glarus, the town of Glarus.
Matt has a population (as of 31 December 2013) of 361. As of 2007[update], 3.3% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -13.4%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (93.2%), with Albanian being second most common ( 3.7%) and Italian being third ( 1.3%).
Matt has an unemployment rate of 0.94%. As of 2005[update], there were 46 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 19 businesses involved in this sector. 87 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 5 businesses in this sector. 39 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 11 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
- Matt in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 10-Sep-2009
- "Sernftalbus - Fahrplan 2015" [Sernftalbus - Timetable 2015] (PDF) (in German). Autobetrieb Sernftal AG. Retrieved 2015-04-20.
- "Sernftalbahn". www.eingestellte-bahnen.ch (in German). Retrieved 2015-04-20.
- Swiss Federal Statistics Office – STAT-TAB Ständige und Nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Region, Geschlecht, Nationalität und Alter (German) accessed 18 August 2014
- Canton Glarus population growth (German) accessed 9 September 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matt.|
- Karin Marti-Weissenbach: Matt in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Hans Fuhrer: Info Matt (German)