Matt & Kim
|Matt & Kim|
Schifino and Johnson, July 2010 performing in Philadelphia
|Origin||Brooklyn, New York, U.S.|
|Genres||Indie rock, power pop, lo-fi|
Matt & Kim are an indie pop duo/couple residing in Brooklyn, New York. The group formed in 2004 and is composed of Matt Johnson (vocals/keyboards) and Kim Schifino (drums). They are known for their DIY attitude toward music.
Matt & Kim 
Matt and Kim are a duo that released their first album, Matt & Kim, on October 26, 2006. The album sold modestly, primarily at live shows. Many indie fans praised their music, and the two gained popularity through their many outgoing tours.
Following the success of their first album, the duo signed with FADER Label and their second album, Grand, recorded in Matt's childhood bedroom at his parent's home in Vermont, was released on January 20, 2009.
A video for one of the album's highlights, "Lessons Learned", in which the duo strips nude in Times Square, was shot during a very cold winter day in February 2009. The clip became a viral success, being bounced off of YouTube temporarily, which only heightened awareness. By September 13, 2009 though, "Lessons Learned" had won the Breakthrough Video award at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards.
On November 2, 2010, the duo released their third album, Sidewalks. Co-produced by Ben Allen, Oliver Strauss and Matt, the album as a whole adopted a more refined, yet dense hip-hop influence in comparison to the previous two, while still maintaining the upbeat and party-esque style they are known for. Matt & Kim headlined two US tours in support, Fall 2010 and again during May/June 2011. As well, they played numerous global festivals including Australia's Big Day Out, Japan's Fuji and V in the UK. In addition, they toured through many US colleges, worked extensively through Europe and South America and In Fall 2011, they supported Blink-182 and My Chemical Romance on select dates.
On June 22, 2012, Matt & Kim issued a brand new track, "Let's Go" as a digital single, meanwhile, the band put finishing touches on their fourth full length album, Lightning, released on October 2, 2012. So far, their single, "Let's Go", has peaked at number 20 on the Billboard Alternative Songs chart. On June 25, 2012, the duo uploaded a video to their youtube channel featuring ball handler Pat the Roc performing basketball tricks as "Let's Go" plays in full. Then on September 4, 2012, the duo released a lyric video for another new song on the album, "Now". On October 1, 2012, "Overexposed", "Not That Bad", "Much Too Late", "Ten Dollars I Found", "Tonight", "It's Alright", "I Said" and "I Wonder" were released on YouTube as official first listens. Matt & Kim premiered their official music video for "Let's Go" via the Funny or Die website in November.
The full-length album got a digital/CD/vinyl release on October 2, 2012 and the band began their official US Fall Lightning Tour the very next day in Burlington, VT.
On February 25, 2013, the "It's Alright" music video was released, featuring Matt & Kim in a choreographed dance routine in bed.
In other media 
In 2009, their song "Daylight" was featured in a Bacardi commercial, a Mars Bar commercial, and the second episode of Community. Their song "Good Ol' Fashion Nightmare" was featured in the Community pilot. "Daylight" was used on the ending credits in Season 6 of the TV series Entourage and in the season 5 finale of the TV show Skins. Their song "AM/FM Sound" was featured in the episode of Chuck, "Chuck Versus the Gobbler". The band welcomes sponsorship deals, as it offers them opportunities to get their music played and heard, and has helped them keep their ticket prices low, but Kim maintains "There's things we just won't do. But if we use a product, we have no problem telling people." On August 26, 2009, Matt & Kim played the song "Daylight" on Jimmy Kimmel Live!. The track is featured on NBA Live 10, and as a remixed version featuring De La Soul on FIFA 10. "Daylight" is also on the Need for Speed: Nitro soundtrack. The song also appeared in the game The Sims 3: World Adventures; re-recorded into Simlish, the gibberish language used in the game. Their song "Cameras" was used in an advertisement for Tune Up in which they were also featured. "Cameras" was also used in the trailer for the Morgan Spurlock film The Greatest Movie Ever Sold and appears on its soundtrack album. Their song "Don't Slow Down" was used in commercials for the MTV series Underemployed and was also used in the first episode of the third Gossip Girl season. "Let's Go" was used in promos for the TV show The Mindy Project; on October 1, 2012, Matt and Kim performed the song on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.
Studio albums 
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
|Matt & Kim||—||—||—||—|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
|2006||"Yea Yeah"||—||—||Matt & Kim|
|"Good Ol' Fashion Nightmare"||—||—|
|2011||"Block After Block"||—||—|
|"Good For Great"||—||—|
|"I'm a Goner" (featuring Soulja Boy and Andrew W.K.)||—||—||Non-album single|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
- This Was Supposed to be a Celebration (2007, Mauled by Tigers)
- "Matt and Kim: The Lo-fi popsters". Independent.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- "Matt and Kim The Deli's reviews and interviews". Thedelimagazine.com. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- "Lessons Learned with Matt from Matt and Kim". Retrieved 2013-01-03.
- Harding, Cortney."Rock - "Grand" Scheme". Billboard. Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- "Director's Cut: Matt and Kim's "Lessons Learned"". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- "Matt and Kim Win MTV’s Breakthrough Video Award", MVRemix.com, 14 September 2009.
- "Sidewalks". Billboard. Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- "The WFNX Top 101 of 2011". WFNX. Retrieved 2013-01-11.
- "LET'S GO - Out 6/25/12". Matt & Kim. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- "Matt & Kim - LET'S GO - Official First Listen". Matt & Kim. Retrieved 2012-06-25.
- New York Music News."Matt And Kim to Tour with Passion Pit 2013". New York Music News. November 5, 2013. Retrieved 2012-11-05.
- Greenblatt, Leah. "What's That Song?: Cool Tunes in Recent Ads", Entertainment Weekly, June 12, 2009, p. 61.
- "Skins - Music - Kyle's episode 8 blog". E4.com. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- Dempster, Gemma. Zoo Interviews, SUPERSWEET, June 2009.
- Matt & Kim performing on Jimmy Kimmel Live!
- The Official NBA Live 10 Soundtrack[dead link]
- The Official FIFA Soccer 10 Soundtrack[dead link]
- "Need for Speed NITRO Goes Gold". Ea.com. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- "The Sims 3 World Adventures Gets an All-Star Soundtrack - PC News at IGN". Uk.pc.ign.com. 2009-10-13. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- Matt and Kim performing on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon
- "Matt & Kim Album & Song Chart History - Billboard 200". Billboard. Retrieved January 10, 2011.
- "Matt & Kim Album & Song Chart History - Rock Albums". Billboard. Retrieved January 10, 2011.
- "Matt & Kim Album & Song Chart History - Independent Albums". Billboard. Retrieved January 10, 2011.
- "Matt & Kim Album & Song Chart History - Heatseekers Albums". Billboard. Retrieved January 10, 2011.
- "Matt & Kim Album & Song Chart History - Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved January 10, 2011.
- "Music Charts, Music News, Artist Photo Gallery & Free Video". Billboard. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "RIAA - Gold & Platinum - January 10, 2011: "Daylight" certified awards". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved January 10, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Matt & Kim|