Matt Anderson (volleyball)
|Full name||Matthew John Anderson|
April 18, 1987 |
Buffalo, New York, United States
|Height||2.08 m (6 ft 10 in)|
|Weight||97.52 kg (215.0 lb)|
|Spike||360 cm (140 in)|
|Block||332 cm (131 in)|
|College(s)||Pennsylvania State University|
|Last updated: October 29, 2014|
Matthew John Anderson (born April 18, 1987 in Buffalo, New York, United States) is an American volleyball player, a member of the United States men's national volleyball team, a participant of the Olympic Games, London 2012, NORCECA Champion 2013, gold medalist of the Pan-American Cup 2008 and World League 2014.
Anderson was born in Buffalo, New York to Michael and Nancy Anderson. He has 5 older siblings: Jennifer, Joelle, Amy, and Joshua. Joelle and Amy both played volleyball in their college years. Matt graduated from West Seneca West Senior High School in 2005.
In his senior year, he led the West Seneca boys' volleyball team to a 17-0 regular-season record and a Sectional Finals appearance, losing to eventual state champion, Hamburg, in 3 sets. In 2004, the team were the 2004 Division I champions. He played club volleyball for Eden Volleyball Club in Eden, New York. Anderson followed an uncharacteristic growth path in his youth - only reaching his full height (6'10") as a Sophomore at Penn State. His original position was middle - playing that in his Sophomore and Junior seasons of high school. As he became more experienced in the game, he spent more time in the Outside and Right-side for Eden VBC. He ranks amongst the top alumni of the distinguished club to this day.
Anderson finished his career in Penn State with 1,212 kills and 82 aces, both which rank in the top 13 in Penn State history. He had a decorated career, especially in 2008 as he helped lead the Nittany Lions to their second ever NCAA Men's Volleyball Championship against Pepperdine. He was named the NCAA Championship Most Outstanding Player for his 29 kill performance against the Waves. Other awards for 2008 include EIVA Player of the Year, AVCA National Player of the Year, AVCA First Team All-America, and All-EIVA First Team.
On July 1, 2008, he announced he would forgo his 2009 senior year at Penn State and signed a professional contract with Hyundai Capital Skywalkers of the Korean league. In his debut season, Anderson helped the Skywalkers claim first in the regular season before losing 3-1 in the championship series. Season 2010/2011 spent in the Italian League as a player of Callipo Volley. Then he moved to Casa Modena. Since 2012, he has played for Russian club, VC Zenit Kazan. With this club, he won a bronze medal in the Russian Championship and CEV Champions League in 2012/2013. In the season 2013/2014, his team won the title of Russian Champion and Anderson was the Most Valuable Player of the Russian League.
- 2008/2009 South Korean Championship, with Hyundai Capital Skywalkers
- 2012/2013 Russian SuperCup2012, with VC Zenit Kazan
- 2012/2013 Russian Championship, with VC Zenit Kazan
- 2013/2014 Russian Championship, with VC Zenit Kazan
- 2013 NORCECA Championship - Most Valuable Player
- 2014 Russian League - Most Valuable Player
- Anderson to forego senior year; signs professional contract in Korea - gopsusports.cstv.com - 01-07-2008
- Zenit KAZAN settles for bronze to celebrate fourth European medal - cev.lu - 17-03-2013
- RUS M: Zenit Kazan keeps Matt Anderson - worldofvolley.com - 04-05-2014
- Zenit Kazan wins national championship - end.tatar-inform.ru - 14-04-2014
- Андерсон решил приостановить карьеру - zenit-kazan.com - 29-10-2014
- Matt Anderson terminated contract with Zenit - worldofvolley.com - 29-10-2014
- Official Matt Anderson Website
- FIVB profile
- Team USA player profile
- LegaVolley Serie A player profile
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matthew Anderson.|
|Most Valuable Player of