Matt Baker (American football)
|Date of birth:May 11, 1983|
|Place of birth: East Lansing, Michigan|
|College: North Carolina|
|Undrafted in 2006|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|Roster status: Active|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2008
Matthew David Baker (born May 11, 1983 in East Lansing, Michigan) is an American football quarterback who is a currently a free agent. He was signed by the Houston Texans as an undrafted free agent in 2006. He played college football at North Carolina.
Baker attended Brother Rice High School. His high school accolades include:
- Three year letter winner in football and lacrosse
- Led his football team to the state championship and a 12-1 record as a senior
- All-State Dream Team and Associated Press in football
- Two time All-State and All-Midwest in lacrosse
- 2001 Midwest Scholastic Lacrosse Association Player of the Year
- 2001 Lacrosse All-American.
Baker was fourth in ACC in passing and led North Carolina to a 5-6 record during his senior year. He graduated from the University of North Carolina with an economics degree and also became a brother of the Sigma Chi fraternity.
New Orleans Saints
On August 21, 2007, Baker was waived by New Orleans.
Baker was re-signed to the Arizona Cardinals practice squad on October 24, 2007.
Baker was claimed off waivers by the Buffalo Bills on May 1, 2008. He was waived/injured on August 26 and subsequently placed on injured reserve. Following the season, he became an exclusive-rights free agent.