|Birth name||Matthew Ramón Barela|
|Billed height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Billed weight||230 lb (100 kg)|
March 12, 1974 |
Los Angeles, California
|Billed from||Los Angeles, California
Mexico City, Mexico (TNA)
Santa Rosa, New Mexico (OVW)
|Trained by||OVW Staff|
Matthew Ramón Barela (born March 12, 1974) is an American professional wrestler. He is best known for working for Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA), where, under the ring name Anarquia, he was a member of the Mexican America stable with Rosita, Sarita and Hernandez.
Professional wrestling career
Ohio Valley Wrestling (1999–2011)
Barela debuted in 1999 for Ohio Valley Wrestling with Raul LaMotta as the tag team Los Locos (Ramón and Raúl Loco). They eventually won the OVW Southern Tag Team Championship status, but eventually split, after which Barela adopted the new ring name Low Rider. Barela worked to main event status, eventually achieving the OVW Heavyweight Championship twice, most notably by defeating James "Moose" Thomas. Barela as Low Rider portrayed a hot headed crowd favorite. He would mix his interviews with bits of Spanish. Eventually at Rage in the Cage January 8, 2011, he was defeated in a three-way cage match by Cliff Compton.
Total Nonstop Action Wrestling
Mexican America (2011–2012)
Barela made his debut for Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA) on March 13, 2011, at the Victory Road pay-per-view, where he appeared as a planted fan and interfered in a First Blood match between Hernandez and Matt Morgan, helping Hernandez pick up the win. On the following edition of Impact!, the alliance of Hernandez, Sarita and Rosita, known collectively as Mexican America, faced Morgan, Angelina Love and Winter in a six person street fight, after which Barela once again entered the ring and attacked Morgan. On the March 24 edition of Impact!, Barela was officially presented as the newest member of the anti-American group and was given the ring name Anarquia. On the July 14 edition of Impact Wrestling, Anarquia and Hernandez defeated The British Invasion (Douglas Williams and Magnus), with help from Rosita, to become the number one contenders to the TNA World Tag Team Championship. They would receive their shot at the TNA World Tag Team Championship on August 7 at Hardcore Justice, but were defeated by the defending champions, Beer Money, Inc. (Bobby Roode and James Storm). Two days later, at the tapings of the August 18 edition of Impact Wrestling, Anarquia and Hernandez defeated Beer Money, Inc. in a rematch, following interference from the "Mexican Heavyweight Champion" Jeff Jarrett, to win the TNA World Tag Team Championship. On September 11 at No Surrender, Anarquia and Hernandez successfully defended the title against D'Angelo Dinero and Devon, following interference from Rosita and Sarita. Later that month, Mexican America began feuding with Ink Inc. (Jesse Neal and Shannon Moore), stemming from their match at Sacrifice in May, where Hernandez had legitimately injured Neal. On October 16, during the Bound for Glory Preshow, Mexican America successfully defended the TNA World Tag Team Championship against Ink Inc. The following month at Turning Point, Anarquia, Hernandez and Sarita defeated Ink Inc.'s Jesse Neal, Shannon Moore and Toxxin in a six person tag team match to retain the TNA World Tag Team Championship. On the following edition of Impact Wrestling, Anarquia and Hernandez lost the TNA World Tag Team Championship to Crimson and Matt Morgan. On the following edition of Impact Wrestling, Hernandez and Arnaquia failed to regain the title in a rematch. On December 6, it was reported that TNA had sent Barela back to Ohio Valley Wrestling, which had recently become the promotion's new developmental territory. After spending three months off television, Anarquia returned on the March 22, 2012, edition of Impact Wrestling, when he and Hernandez unsuccessfully challenged Magnus and Samoa Joe for the TNA World Tag Team Championship. Anarquia's last appearance was on the April 26 episode of Impact Wrestling, losing to Kurt Angle via submission. The following day, Barela's profile was removed form TNA's official website. His departure from the promotion was confirmed four days later.
Barela appeared in the comedy/action film Overtime alongside OVW trainer Al Snow and fellow OVW wrestlers Rudy Switchblade and Ted McNaler.
- Entrance themes
Championships and accomplishments
- Ohio Valley Wrestling
- Pro Wrestling Illustrated
- Boutwell, Josh (2011-03-25). "Impact Results - 3/24/11". WrestleView. Retrieved 2011-03-25.
- "TNA Wrestling profile". Total Nonstop Action Wrestling. Retrieved 2011-04-07.
- "OVW Roster Page for Matt Barela". Retrieved 2011-04-11.
- "OVW Title History". Retrieved 2011-04-11.
- Caldwell, James (2011-03-13). "Caldwell's TNA Victory Road PPV results 3/13: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of live PPV - Sting vs. Hardy TNA Title match". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-03-25.
- Boutwell, Josh (2011-03-18). "Impact Results - 3/17/11". WrestleView. Retrieved 2011-03-25.
- Baxendell, Matt (2011-03-17). "Bax's TNA Impact report 3/17: Alt. perspective review - new TNA Title belt, Fall-out From Hardy’s "issues" at Victory Road, Styles injury angle, Overall Grade". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-03-25.
- Keller, Wade (2011-07-14). "Keller's TNA Impact report: Ongoing live coverage of Destination X fallout, Mr. Anderson vs. Sting". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-07-14.
- Caldwell, James (2011-08-07). "Caldwell's TNA Hardcore Justice PPV results 8/7: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of live PPV - Sting vs. Angle, five title matches, BFG Series matches". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- Tedesco, Mike (2011-08-09). "Spoilers: Impact Wrestling for August 18". WrestleView. Retrieved 2011-08-09.
- Bishop, Matt (2011-08-18). "Impact: Flair finally returns to show". Slam! Sports. Canadian Online Explorer. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- Caldwell, James (2011-09-11). "Caldwell's TNA No Surrender PPV results 9/11: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of live PPV - three-way TNA Title match, BFG Series finals". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- Martin, Adam (2011-06-05). "TNA star misses TV tapings due to neck injury". WrestleView. Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- Keller, Wade (2011-09-22). "Keller's TNA Impact Wrestling report 9/22: Angle-Roode confrontation, Jeff Hardy talks pain pills with fellow addict(s), more". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- Caldwell, James (2011-10-16). "Caldwell's TNA Bound for Glory PPV results 10/16: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of live PPV - Angle-Roode, Hogan-Sting". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- Caldwell, James (2011-11-13). "Caldwell's TNA Turning Point PPV results 11/13: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of live PPV - Roode-Styles, five title matches". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-11-13.
- Keller, Wade (2011-11-17). "Keller's TNA Impact Wrestling report 11/17: Follow up to Turning Point, Roode and Styles match announced for Final Resolution". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Keller, Wade (2011-11-27). "Keller's TNA Impact Wrestling report 11/24: Thanksgiving Edition on Spike TV featuring elimination tag main event". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- "Two TNA wrestlers sent to OVW". Pro Wrestling Torch. 2011-12-06. Retrieved 2011-12-06.
- Turner, Scott (2012-03-23). "Turner's TNA Impact Wrestling results 3/22: Victory Road fall-out, Dixie & Sting & Hogan close the show, three title matches". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "TURNER'S TNA IMPACT WRESTLING RESULTS 4/26: First-ever Open Fight Night, Tag Title match, Flair throws a party for Bischoff".
- ., Jules (2012-04-27). "Former tag champion cut from TNA". TNA Insider. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
- Caldwell, James (2012-05-01). "Former tag champion cut from TNA". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- "Emergence". Total Nonstop Action Wrestling. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- "Stand Up (Mexican American)". Total Nonstop Action Wrestling. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- ""PWI 500": 101–200". Pro Wrestling Illustrated. 2011-08-08. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matt Barela.|