Brittin in 2012, portrait by Jarle Naustvik
|Born||Matthew John Brittin
1 September 1968 
Early life and Education
Brittin was born in Walton-on-Thames, north-west Surrey. He was educated at Hampton School and Robinson College, Cambridge where he was awarded a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1989. He was awarded a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from London Business School with distinction in 1997.
Brittin joined Google in January 2007, becoming Managing Director of Google UK in 2009. He is currently a Google Vice President.
He has been called to appear before the United Kingdom parliamentary Public Accounts Committee on more than one occasion, at which he has defended the very small percentage of corporate tax paid by Google on substantial earnings. To do this he has claimed that Google does not "sell" in the UK, even though UK staff are paid incentives to "encourage" potential customers to spend money with Google. He has not clarified his definition of "selling", but he "... admitted ’sales’ staff based in Britain are paid commission for reaching targets."
Brittin was interviewed on the BBC Radio 4 program In Business where he discussed Google's strategies for nurturing new ideas and projects. He also talked about the controversy over the Google Street View recording wifi traffic and Google's green credentials.
He married Katherine Betts in 1995 and has two sons (born in 1999 and 2001). In June 2011 he cycled from Land's End to John o' Groats. Brittin rowed in The Boat Race three times, from 1987 to 1989, representing the University of Cambridge. He rowed for Great Britain from 1985 to 1989, winning a bronze medal at the World Rowing Championships in 1988. He also represented Great Britain in rowing at the 1988 Seoul Olympics.
- "BRITTIN, Matthew John". Who's Who 2014. Who's Who (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription required)
- Barnett, Emma (5 July 2010). "Google UK chief: Facebook is not the only successful social network". Daily Telegraph (London).
- Matt Brittin on Twitter
- Former Trinity Mirror executive Matt Brittin to run Google's UK operation , The Guardian, 2009-03-18
- Latham, Cheryl (16 May 2013). "Google boss denies lying during heated session with MPs over tax affairs". Metro. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- Sweney, Mark (18 March 2009). "Matt Brittin to run Google UK". The Guardian. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
||Managing Director of Google UK
2009 – 2011