Matt Brown (fighter)
January 10, 1981 |
Xenia, Ohio, United States
|Other names||The Immortal, Mr Fox,Monster|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
|Reach||76.0 in (193 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Cincinnati, Ohio|
|Team||The JG MMA and Fitness Academy|
|Rank||brown belt in Judo
purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Matthew Burton Brown (born January 10, 1981) is an American mixed martial artist currently signed to the Ultimate Fighting Championship in the Welterweight division. Brown was a competitor on the seventh season of The Ultimate Fighter television series and was eliminated in the ninth episode due to a loss to eventual show winner Amir Sadollah by triangle choke. As of September 2013, Brown is ranked as the #10 Welterweight fighter in the world by Sherdog.
Mixed martial arts
Brown graduated from Greeneview High School in Jamestown, Ohio having competed in bodybuilding and boxing. Before Brown began training for a career in mixed martial arts, he was addicted to drugs and drinking. Brown realized that he needed a hobby, to keep him away from the party lifestyle. His nickname "The Immortal" was given to him by his friends after he had survived an overdose from heroin. He initially began training Japanese jiu-jitsu and later transitioned to a Jorge Gurgel affiliate, which led him to MMA.
On February 9, 2007 in Kennesaw, (Atlanta) Georgia, USA, Matt Brown won the ISCF (International Sport Combat Federation) East Coast Welterweight Championship over Douglas Lima by referee stoppage due to strikes 2:50 of round 2.
After Brown thought his career was over due to money problems, the Ultimate Fighter tryouts came along and Brown made the show.
The Ultimate Fighter
Brown was chosen as one of the thirty-two fighters to get a chance at a six figure UFC contract in The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rampage vs. Team Forrest. Brown officially entered the show after defeating Josh Hall by TKO in the preliminary round. Brown moved on to the quarter finals by defeating Jeremy May in round 1 via head kick KO. Brown faced eventual winner Amir Sadollah in the quarter-finals but lost by triangle choke in round 2.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Brown lost his second fight in the organization by split decision to Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 88. Kim threatened Brown with a rear naked choke from back control in the first round, but became exhausted in the second round. In the third, Kim used some effective ground-and-pound and cut Brown with an elbow. All three judges scored the bout 29–28, two of them in Kim's favor. The decision was contested by the partisan American crowd in attendance with noticeable booing. Commentator Joe Rogan announced during the post-fight interviews that he believed Brown had won the fight.
Brown was scheduled to fight on the TUF 9 Finale card against Anthony Johnson. However, Johnson pulled out of the fight after injuring his knee during practice. The UFC set out to find a replacement for Johnson but Brown pulled out as well, to heal up some nagging injuries.
Brown faced James Wilks at UFC 105, defeating him via TKO in the third round. Brown landed a flying knee during the second round which knocked Wilks to the canvas and in the third round, Brown escaped a near fight ending submission attempt by Wilks to take top position. After obtaining full mount, Brown landed multiple unanswered strikes, causing the referee to stop the fight awarding Brown his third straight UFC win, bumping his overall UFC record to 4–1.
During a radio interview held by MMAWeekly, Brown stated he would like to fight Renzo Gracie for his next fight. Brown faced Ricardo Almeida on March 27, 2010 at UFC 111. Brown lost the fight by rear naked choke in the second round.
Brown was expected to face Rory MacDonald on November 20, 2010 at UFC 123. However, MacDonald was forced from the card with an injury and replaced by Brian Foster, who defeated Brown by submission (guillotine choke) in the second round of their bout. After his third consecutive loss, it was announced on ESPN's "MMA Live" that Brown had been released from the promotion. However, Ariel Helwani announced that Brown had in fact not been released from the UFC, citing his source as the UFC itself.
Brown was expected to face Mark Scanlon on March 3, 2011 at UFC Live: Sanchez vs. Kampmann. However, Scanlon was forced off the card  and replaced by Matthew Riddle. Not long after the Riddle-Brown announcement was made, it was announced that Riddle had been pulled from the fight.
Brown was expected to face Rich Attonito on June 26, 2011 at UFC on Versus 4. However, main card participant Martin Kampmann was forced out of his bout with John Howard with an injury and Brown was chosen as his replacement, while Attonito faced Daniel Roberts. Brown won the fight against Howard via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).
Brown was expected to face John Hathaway on November 5, 2011 at UFC 138, replacing an injured Pascal Krauss. However, John Hathaway was forced to pull out of the bout due to an undisclosed injury and Brown was pulled from the event. Instead Brown faced Seth Baczynski on November 19, 2011 at UFC 139. He lost the fight via submission in the second round.
Brown next faced Mike Swick on December 8, 2012 at UFC on Fox 5. Despite being a slight underdog, Brown dominated on the ground in the first round, threatening with D'arce and triangle chokes. He eventually won the fight via knockout in the second round, capping a 4-0 year for Brown in 2012.
Brown was expected to face Dan Hardy on April 20, 2013 at UFC on Fox 7. However, Hardy was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Jordan Mein. Brown won via TKO due to puches and elbows to the body in the second round, the win also earned him his first Fight of the Night bonus award.
Brown was expected to face Thiago Alves on August 17, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 26. However, Alves pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by Mike Pyle. Brown won via knockout due to punches in twenty nine seconds of round one. The win also earned Brown his first Knockout of the Night bonus award.
Brown was expected to face Carlos Condit on December 14, 2013 at UFC on Fox 9. However, in the week leading up to the event, Brown pulled out of the bout citing a back injury. As a result, Condit was removed form the card as well.
Championships and accomplishments
- International Sport Combat Federation
- ISCF East Coast Welterweight Championship (One time)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|29 matches||18 wins||11 losses|
|Win||18–11||Mike Pyle||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Sonnen||August 17, 2013||1||0:29||Boston, Massachusetts, United States||Knockout of the Night|
|Win||17–11||Jordan Mein||TKO (punches & elbows)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez||April 20, 2013||2||1:00||San Jose, California, United States||Fight of the Night|
|Win||16–11||Mike Swick||KO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz||December 8, 2012||2||2:31||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Win||15–11||Luis Ramos||TKO (knees & punches)||UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida||June 22, 2012||2||4:20||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||14–11||Stephen Thompson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 145||April 21, 2012||3||5:00||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||13–11||Chris Cope||TKO (punches)||UFC 143||February 4, 2012||2||1:19||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||12–11||Seth Baczynski||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 139||November 19, 2011||2||0:42||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||12–10||John Howard||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Live: Kongo vs. Barry||June 26, 2011||3||5:00||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Loss||11–10||Brian Foster||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 123||November 20, 2010||2||2:11||Auburn Hills, Michigan, United States|
|Loss||11–9||Chris Lytle||Submission (inverted triangle/straight armbar)||UFC 116||July 3, 2010||2||2:02||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||11–8||Ricardo Almeida||Submission (rear naked choke)||UFC 111||March 27, 2010||2||3:30||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||11–7||James Wilks||TKO (punches)||UFC 105||November 14, 2009||3||2:26||Manchester, England, United Kingdom|
|Win||10–7||Pete Sell||TKO (punches)||UFC 96||March 7, 2009||1||1:32||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Win||9–7||Ryan Thomas||Submission (armbar)||UFC 91||November 15, 2008||2||0:57||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||8–7||Dong Hyun Kim||Decision (split)||UFC 88||September 6, 2008||3||5:00||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||8–6||Matt Arroyo||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale||June 21, 2008||2||3:40||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||7–6||Chris Lytle||Submission (guillotine choke)||United Fight League||August 11, 2007||2||2:49||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Win||7–5||Dan Kolbasowski||Submission (armbar)||FightFest: Black and Blues Tour||July 6, 2007||1||1:37||Cleveland, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||6–5||Daniel Moraes||Submission (armbar)||GFC: Evolution||May 19, 2007||1||2:32||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||6–4||Jesse Chilton||Submission (arm triangle choke)||Next Level Fighting 8||March 10, 2007||3||3:23||Steubenville, Ohio, United States|
|Win||6–3||Douglas Lima||TKO (punches)||ISCF: Invasion||February 9, 2007||2||2:50||Kennesaw, Georgia, United States||Won ISCF East Coast Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||5–3||Matt Arroyo||TKO (punches)||Real Fighting Championships||November 4, 2006||2||2:50||Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Win||4–3||Jason Nickoson||Submission (triangle choke)||Fightfest 8||October 20, 2006||1||0:51||Cleveland, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||3–3||Chris Liguori||Submission (rear naked choke)||CITC 3: Marked Territory||September 30, 2006||2||0:42||Lincroft, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||3–2||Mikey Gomez||Submission (rear naked choke)||Absolute Fighting Championships 17||June 24, 2006||1||3:35||Boca Raton, Florida, United States|
|Win||3–1||Brian King||Submission (armbar)||Broken Reflection||May 20, 2006||1||3:27||Toledo, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||2–1||Pete Spratt||Decision (unanimous)||International Freestyle Fighting 1||May 6, 2006||3||5:00||Fort Worth, Texas, United States|
|Win||2–0||Joey Whitt||KO (punches)||GFL: Brawl at the Buckeye||February 10, 2006||1||0:39||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Win||1–0||Ricardo Martinez||Submission||Higher Power Fighting||October 8, 2005||1||2:54||Lancaster, Ohio, United States|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Professional record breakdown|
|3 matches||2 wins||1 loss|
|Loss||2-1||Amir Sadollah||Submission (triangle choke)||TUF 7||N/A||2||4:09||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Eliminated.|
|Win||2-0||Jeremy May||KO (head kick)||TUF 7||N/A||1||3:35||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Advanced to Quarterfinals.|
|Win||1-0||Josh Hall||TKO (punches)||TUF 7||N/A||1||4:58||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Preliminary round.|
- "Sherdog's Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". Sherdog.com. 2013-09-23.
- "Exclusive Interview with UFC welterweight Matt Brown". FIVEKNUCKLES.com. 2009-11-09. Retrieved 2009-11-30.
- "Brown vs. Sell on UFC 96 main card; Vera and Grove stuck on prelims". MMAJUNKIE.com. 2009-02-11. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- "UFC welterweight Matt Brown discusses career resurgence, Renzo Gracie talk". MMAJUNKIE.com. 2009-12-01. Retrieved 2010-04-21.
- "Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Brown slotted for UFC 111 in March". MMAJUNKIE.com. 2010-01-07. Retrieved 2010-04-21.
- "UFC 116: Chris Lytle vs. Matt Brown Likely for July 3 in Las Vegas". MMAFighting.com. 2010-04-21. Retrieved 2010-04-21.
- "MacDonald vs Brown at UFC 123". Sportsnet.ca. 2010-08-18.
- "Injured Rory MacDonald out, Brian Foster in against Matt Brown at UFC 123". mmajunkie.com. October 13, 2010.
- "Matt Brown vs. Mark Scanlon At UFC on Versus 3". heavy.com. January 3, 2011.
- "Mark Scanlon out at UFC on Versus 3, Matt Brown awaiting new opponent". mmajunkie.com. January 14, 2011.
- "Matt Riddle Steps in to Face Matt Brown at UFC on Versus 3 in Kentucky". mmaweekly.com. January 14, 2011.
- "Rich Attonito vs. Matt Brown move from TUF 13 Finale to UFC on Versus 4". mmajunkie.com. March 17, 2011.
- "UFC on Versus 4: Matt Brown vs John Howard booked for June 26 with Martin Kampmann injured". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Matt Brown replaces Pascal Krauss, meets John Hathaway at UFC 138". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "After injuries, Brown-Baczynski at UFC 139". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-10-17.
- "Matt Brown vs. Chris Cope slated for UFC 143 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. December 23, 2011.
- "Matt Brown vs. Stephen Thompson added to April's UFC 145 event in Atlanta". mmajunkie.com. February 11, 2012.
- "Matt Brown replaces Matt Riddle, meets Luis Ramos at UFC on FX 4". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "UFC on FOX 5 adds Swick-Brown to Seattle lineup". mmajunkie.com. August 27, 2012.
- Brett Okamoto (January 15, 2013). "Matt Brown to face Dan Hardy". espn.go.com.
- Matt Erickson (2013-03-22). "Injury forces Dan Hardy off UFC on FOX 7; Jordan Mein now meets Matt Brown". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- Staff (2013-04-20). "UFC on FOX 7 bonuses: Brown, Mein, Romero, Thomson earn $50,000". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Ariel Helwani (2013-05-04). "Matt Brown vs. Thiago Alves agree to fight on UFC on FOX Sports 1 debut card". MMAfighting.com. Retrieved 2013-05-04.
- Mookie Alexander (2013-07-03). "Thiago Alves injured, Mike Pyle now fights Matt Brown at UFC on Fox Sports 1 in Boston". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2013-07-03.
- Staff (2013-08-17). "UFC Fight Night 26 bonuses: Browne, Brown, Sonnen, McDonald, Pickett earn awards". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- Dave Doyle (2013-09-18). "Carlos Condit vs. Matt Brown added to red-hot UFC on FOX 9 card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- Staff (2013-12-07). "Matt Brown injured, fight vs. Carlos Condit scrapped from UFC on FOX 9". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-07.
- "First Blog!". THEIMMORTALMATTBROWN.us. 2010-02-25. Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- "The Never Say Die Attitude of Matt Brown". UFC.com. 2010-06-24. Retrieved 2010-06-25.