Calvert in 2014.
December 24, 1989 |
Brandon, MB, CAN
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Weight||174 lb (79 kg; 12 st 6 lb)|
|NHL team||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|NHL Draft||127th overall, 2008
Columbus Blue Jackets
Matthew Calvert (born December 24, 1989) is a Canadian ice hockey left winger. He is currently playing with the Columbus Blue Jackets of the NHL (National Hockey League). He was drafted by the Blue Jackets in the fifth round, 127th overall, of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Calvert began his junior career with a brief stint for the Winkler Flyers of the Manitoba Hockey League, during which he accumulated fifteen penalty minutes in his only game with the club. The following year was his first of three seasons with the Brandon Wheat Kings of the Western Hockey League (WHL). He was named Alternate Captain for the Wheat Kings in his second season.
After being drafted by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Calvert opted to return to the Wheat Kings for a third season and a chance to win the 2010 Memorial Cup, which was being hosted by Brandon. He was named Captain of the Wheat Kings for the 2009-10 WHL season, during which he earned Second-Team Eastern Conference All-Star and Memorial Cup All-Star honors.
Calvert is also noted for scoring a natural short-handed hat trick against the Calgary Hitmen in the 2010 WHL Eastern Conference Finals. With this feat, Calvert tied the WHL record for most short-handed goals in one game and became the only player in WHL history to score three short-handed goals in one period in the playoffs.
Calvert was called up to the Columbus on January 6, 2011 and made his NHL debut two days later in a 6-0 loss to the Anaheim Ducks. He would score the first goal of his NHL career one game later against goaltender Jonathan Quick of the Los Angeles Kings. The Blue Jackets would assign Calvert to Springfield for the duration of the 2011 NHL All-Star Break before bringing him back up when they resumed regular season play.
On February 25, 2011, Calvert scored a natural hat trick for the Blue Jackets in a 5-3 win over the Phoenix Coyotes. It was the first hat trick of Calvert's NHL career and the 19th hat trick in Blue Jackets' franchise history.
On April 19, 2014 Matt Calvert helped the Blue Jackets earn their first Stanley Cup Playoff win by scoring a short-handed goal in the second period and the game winning goal in their 4-3 double overtime victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Awards and honours
|WHL East Second All-Star Team||2010|||
|CHL Memorial Cup All-Star Team||2010|||
|2007–08||Brandon Wheat Kings||WHL||72||24||40||64||53||6||1||2||3||2|
|2008–09||Brandon Wheat Kings||WHL||58||28||39||67||58||12||9||8||17||22|
|2009–10||Brandon Wheat Kings||WHL||68||47||52||99||70||15||9||7||16||15|
|2010–11||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||42||11||9||20||12||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||13||0||3||3||16||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||42||9||7||16||32||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||56||9||15||24||53||6||2||2||4||4|
- "Eliteprospects.com - Matt Calvert". Elite Hockey Prospects. 2011-02-26. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "Calvert is Brandon Bound". Our Sports Central. 2009-09-28. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- Best of the East Saluted by WHL, Saskatoon Homepage, 2010-03-18, retrieved 2011-02-25
- Martin Jones And Jimmy Bubnick Honored At 2010 Mastercard Memorial Cup, Our Sports Central, 2010-05-24, retrieved 2011-02-25
- The WHL Official Website - Single Game Records, The Western Hockey League, 2003-09-20, retrieved 2011-02-26
- Mastercard Memorial Cup Preview, Sportsnet.ca, 2010-05-11, retrieved 2011-02-26
- Puck-Rakers Blog: January 2011 Archives, The Columbus Dispatch, 2011-01-31, retrieved 2011-02-26
- Game No. 60 (Puck-Rakers Blog), The Columbus Dispatch, 2011-02-25, retrieved 2011-02-26
- Memorial Cup All-Star Teams