Matt Carson (baseball)
Carson with the Sacramento River Cats
July 1, 1981 |
Newport Beach, California
|September 18, 2009 for the Oakland Athletics|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||21|
Matthew "Matt" Reese Carson (born July 1, 1981) is an American professional baseball outfielder who is a free agent. He is 6 feet 2 inches (1.88 m) and weighs 200 pounds (91 kg). He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Oakland Athletics, Minnesota Twins and Cleveland Indians.
New York Yankees
He was drafted by the New York Yankees in the fifth round of the 2002 amateur draft.
Carson began his minor league career in 2002 with the Staten Island Yankees, hitting .203 in 48 games. He spent the next season with the Battle Creek Yankees, hitting .259 with 11 home runs and 100 strikeouts in 119 games. In 2004, he played for the Battle Creek Yankees and Tampa Yankees, hitting a combined .271 with 15 home runs and 111 strikeouts in 132.
He split the 2005 season between Tampa and the Trenton Thunder, batting .238 with nine home runs in 112 games. In 2006, he played for those two teams again, hitting .248 with ten home runs in 69 games. He spent all of 2007 with Trenton, hitting .248 with 16 home runs, and in 2008 he played for Trenton and the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees, hitting .285 with 15 home runs in 111 games.
For the 2009 season, he found himself in the Oakland Athletics organization, with the Sacramento RiverCats. He had a career year, hitting .264 with 25 home runs and 77 RBI, and was subsequently called up to the major leagues.
Tampa Bay Rays
After signing with the Cleveland Indians on November 19, 2012, Carson went on to appear in 20 games for Cleveland, collecting seven hits, including one homer, in 11 at-bats. After the season, Carson was non-tendered by the Indians, making him a free agent. He was re-signed to a minor league deal on December 13, 2013.
- Baseball Reference
- "San Diego State Captures Inaugural Conference Baseball Tournament Title". themwc.com. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- Baseball Reference Minors
- Game log
- Axisa, Mike (August 1, 2011). "Minor Moves: Flores, Stokes, Ward, Carson". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- Axisa, Mike. "22 Triple-A Players Elect Free Agency". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved 1 October 2011.
- "Wings/Twins sign 8 free agents". WROC-TV. November 17, 2011. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- Bastian, Jordan (November 19, 2012). "Indians sign Carson, Hunter to Minor League deals". MLB.com. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- Bastian, Jordan (December 2, 2013). "Tribe non-tenders catcher Marson, two others". MLB.com. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- Storm, Stephanie (December 13, 2013). "ndians invite three non-roster players to big league camp in spring". Akron Becon Journal. Retrieved September 2, 2014.