Daley with the Colorado Rockies
|New York Yankees – No. 40|
June 23, 1982 |
Queens, New York, USA
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|April 25, 2009 for the Colorado Rockies|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||4.38|
Daley was born in Queens, New York and raised in Garden City, New York where he graduated from Garden City High School in 2000 after helping GCHS win the New York State Class B baseball championship. Daley attended Bucknell University. He pitched for Bucknell's baseball team, and had Tommy John surgery while in college. He was a member of Delta Upsilon. He graduated with a degree in accounting and economics.
Daley spent the 2008 season with two teams, playing for the Drillers and the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, going 4-6 in 63 games in Tulsa and Colorado Springs.
He made his major league debut on April 25, 2009 against the Los Angeles Dodgers, pitching 1 inning and getting his first strikeout. Daley went from July 8 to August 16 without letting up a single run. His 14 2⁄3 inning scoreless streak was the longest by a Rockies reliever in 2009.
Assigned to the minor leagues in 2011, Daley had rotator cuff surgery in August, and missed the entire 2012 season.
After the 2011 season, Daley signed a minor league contract with the New York Yankees, receiving an invitation to spring training. The Yankees promoted Daley to the major leagues on September 6, 2013, and he made his first appearance with the Yankees that night. After the season, Daley was non-tendered by the Yankees, making him a free agent. He was re-signed to a minor league deal on December 19, 2013.
Daley began the 2014 season with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, but was promoted to the major leagues on April 19 after Cesar Cabral hit 3 batters in the game, resulting in an ejection. Daley pitched 1.1 innings and had 6 runs score against him. He was designated for assignment the next day, but cleared waivers and went back to AAA Scranton. He was called back up the major leagues in May, and optioned back to the minors on July 12.
- D’Alessandro, Dave (March 9, 2014). "Yankees' Matt Daley has a place in history. Now he wants a place on the team". The Star-Ledger. p. section 5. pg. 5. Retrieved April 19, 2014.
- "Rockies' Daley proving stingy in bullpen | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved 2013-09-07.
- 02/08/2012 7:05 PM EST. "Yankees sign INF Russell Branyan, RHP Manny Delcarmen, INF Bill Hall, LHP Hideki Okajima and OF Dewayne Wise to Minor League contracts | yankees.com: News". Newyork.yankees.mlb.com. Retrieved 2013-09-07.
- "Daley makes Yankees debut after promotion | yankees.com: News". Newyork.yankees.mlb.com. 2013-07-09. Retrieved 2013-09-07.
- Twitter / Anthony McCarron: The Yankees will non-tender Jayson Nix, Matt Daley and David Adams, Brian Cashman said.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)