Matt Davies (cartoonist)
|Alma mater||Savannah College of Art & Design in Savannah, GA|
|Occupation||Political Cartoonist, Children's Author|
Early life and career
He graduated from Staples High School in Westport, Connecticut in 1985, and subsequently studied Illustration and Fine Art at The Savannah College of Art & Design in Savannah, GA, then the School of Visual Arts in NYC. After college, he began doing freelance cartoons, before being hired full-time to draw for The Journal News (based in Westchester, New York) in April 1993.
His work has appeared regularly in The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times & USA Today. His work has also been featured in Newsweek, Time Magazine, U.S. News and World Report, CNN, The Week and Mad Magazine.
Along with sketching political cartoons Davies is an author and illustrator of children's picture books. He is represented by Rodeen Literary Agency and was signed with Neal Porter, of Roaring Brook Press/Macmillan to write and illustrate his first two picture books. The first book titled Ben Rides On was released to wide critical acclaim in the Spring of 2013, was a Junior Library Guild selection for Fall 2013 and a Kirkus "Best Book" of 2013. His second book Ben Draws Trouble will be released Fall '14. He was also signed by Neal Porter Books to illustrate the forthcoming book Nerdy Birdy, written by NY Times Bestselling author Aaron Reynolds, which is due for release in spring of '15.
Davies has given talks about cartooning and politics at many venues including the UN, The Library of Congress, The National Press Club in Washington DC, Columbia University, The British Library in London, The National Archives in Washington DC and the Tribeca Film Festival. He was also the 2004 Writer-in-Residence with the Journalism and Art departments at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and served on the advisory board of the National Cartoon Museum.
Matt Davies frequently updates his website "Ouch." with projects or illustrations he is currently working on. His work usually displays a multitude of political cartoons which reflect his views on the current state of the political landscape and state of the world.
Davies and his wife, Lucy, live in Connecticut with their three children.
- 2004 Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Cartooning
- 2004 Herblock Prize
- 2001 Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award for cartooning
- five-time winner of the Deadline Club Award from the NYC Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, * five first-prize awards from New York Associated Press Editorial Cartooning Competition.
- 2011 Pulitzer Prize Finalist
- "Are We Witnessing the Dusk of a Cartooning Era?", Nieman Reports
- "Cartoonists Reach Out to Educators", Nieman Reports
- Davies, Matt. "Ouch. Cartoons and Things by Matt Davies "Ben Rides On"".
- "AAEC Matt Davies cartoonist profile". http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoonist/profile.cfm/DavieM/.
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2010)|