Matt Hill (footballer)
|Full name||Matthew Clayton Hill|
|Date of birth||26 March 1981|
|Place of birth||Bristol, England|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|2005–2008||Preston North End||105||(0)|
|2010||→ Queens Park Rangers (loan)||16||(0)|
|2012||→ Sheffield United (loan)||12||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:07, 16 April 2015 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Matthew Clayton "Matt" Hill (born 26 March 1981) is an English footballer who plays as a defender for Tranmere Rovers. Born in Bristol, Hill started his career with Bristol City where he made over 200 appearances. He subsequently joined Preston North End where he also spent a successful spell, playing over 100 times for the Lancashire club. A move to Wolverhampton Wanderers followed but first team opportunities were more limited and he was loaned to Queens Park Rangers before leaving to join Barnsley. After only one season at the South Yorkshire club he transferred to Blackpool but again played few first team games before being loaned to Sheffield United, with the move being made permanent in the summer of 2012.
Hill began his professional career at his home town club Bristol City, making his debut aged 17 on 7 November 1998 in a 6–1 defeat to Wolves. He progressed to become a first choice player by the 2000–01 season. He twice came close to winning promotion with the Robins from the third tier, but they lost in the play-offs for two successive seasons.
Preston North End
The defender finally moved up a division when he joined Preston North End in January 2005 in a £100,000 deal. His first season almost ending with a place in the Premier League, but it was third time unlucky for Hill in the play-offs as Preston lost the final to West Ham. The following season brought more disappointment as injury ruled him out of the final month, where the club once again missed out in the play-offs. He recovered for the 2006–07 season and went on to win the Preston fans' Player of the Year Award.
Hill joined Wolverhampton Wanderers on 1 September 2008 signing a three-year deal for an undisclosed fee. Hill contested the left–back slot with Stephen Ward throughout the season, but made 13 appearances in helping Wolves win promotion to the Premier League as champions.
In October 2010. Hill joined Championship side Barnsley on a one-month emergency loan deal after full-back Jay McEveley picked up an injury. He suffered a foot fracture which led to him returning to Molineux for treatment, before returning to Barnsley in the New Year.
In January 2011, his contract with Wolves was terminated by mutual consent and it was later announced that he has signed a deal until the end of the season with Barnsley.
Hill scored his first goal in seven years in the 2–2 draw with Nottingham Forest on 1 January, latching onto a pass and thumping across Lee Camp. He emulated this feat in the 3–3 draw with Leeds United in February.
Hill's contract with expired with Barnsley in May 2011 and he left the club. He joined Blackpool on 9 July, and played his first game with the club on 11 August in a goalless League Cup tie with Sheffield Wednesday. Hill made his first League start in a home game against Derby County on 17 August. On 6 March 2012, Hill joined Football League One side Sheffield United on loan until the end of the season to ease a defensive crisis at the club. He started regularly from that point, eventually making fifteen appearances for the South Yorkshire club. His final appearance for the Blades came at Wembley for the League One play-off final. Hill scored in the game's penalty shoot out when the game was level after extra time but United slipped to defeat.
Having been released by Blackpool, Hill signed a permanent deal with Sheffield United at the end of July 2012. Having been a regular in the starting XI for most of the season, Hill was ruled out for 6 weeks with a broken jaw in January 2013. Hill eventually returned to the side in March and played regularly until the end of the season, finishing having made 41 appearances in all competitions.
During the 2013–14 season, Hill was largely used as a substitute by new managers David Weir and Nigel Clough, starting occasional games as cover for other defenders. Despite this Hill made a further 39 appearances for the Blades during the season. In May 2014, with the season over, Hill announced that he would be leaving United as his contract had expired, stating that "I am sad to say I am leaving Sheffield United. I have had a fantastic time with the lads, staff and fans." Hill played 95 times in total for United.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2009). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2009–10. Mainstream Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84596-474-0.
- "Preston offer for Hill accepted". BBC Sport. 4 January 2005.
- "Preston Defender Joins The Ranks". wolves.co.uk. 1 September 2008.
- "QPR sign Matt Hill on loan from Wolves". BBC Sport. 25 January 2010.
- "Barnsley sign Wolves defender Matt Hill". BBC Sport. 20 October 2010.
- "Hill contract cancelled". wolves.co.uk. 24 January 2011.
- "Five Players Leave Oakwell". Barnsley FC Website. 11 May 2011. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "Hill Agrees Pool Move". blackpoolfc.co.uk. 9 July 2011. Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- "Blades secure loan double". Sheffield United F.C. 6 March 2012. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "Huddersfield promoted after shootout". Eurosport. 26 May 2012. Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- "Triple swoop for Blades". Sheffield United FC Official Web Site. 30 July 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "Sheffield United defender Matt Hill out for six weeks". BBC Sport. 8 January 2013. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- "Games played by Matt Hill in 2012/2013". Soccerbase. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "Games played by Matt Hill in 2013/2014". Soccerbase. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "Sheffield United: Hill confirms Blades departure". Sheffield Star. 7 May 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "Tranmere Rovers sign Gerardo Bruna and Matt Hill". BBC Sport. 8 August 2014. Retrieved 8 August 2014.