Matt Jones (footballer born 1986)
|Full name||Matthew Robert Jones|
|Date of birth||11 May 1986|
|Place of birth||Stoke-on-Trent, England|
|Height||1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|2003–2005||West Bromwich Albion|
|2005–2009||Sacred Heart Pioneers|
|2009||Western Mass Pioneers||4||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 1 September 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
He started playing as a senior with the Western Mass Pioneers in the United States, leaving for Portugal in 2009 and representing several clubs there.
College and amateur
Jones moved to the United States in 2005, to attend and play college soccer at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Connecticut. He helped the team finish fourth in regular season of the Northeast Conference, losing in the playoffs to eventual champions Monmouth University, 1–2.
Jones was selected to the All-Northeast Conference second team, the NSCAA All-New England second team and was voted Male Rookie of the Year as a freshman in 2005, being picked to the All-Northeast Conference first team and the All-Mideast Region second team in 2007 and 2008. In 2009, he was awarded the "All Pioneer" honour on top of being a nominated in the final 30 of the Lowe's Senior CLASS Award in 2009; additionally, he was named NEC Scholar Athlete of the year in 2009, and graduated magna cum laude with a GPA of 3.7 and a degree in Business administration.
Jones turned professional in 2009 with the Western Mass Pioneers. He made his professional debut on 25 April of that year in the side's 1–3 opening day away defeat against the Harrisburg City Islanders.
Jones was signed by Portuguese team C.D. Santa Clara, before the start of the 2009–10 season. He immediately made himself first-choice at the second division club, going on to appear in 21 matches out of 30 in that first campaign.
In June 2011, Jones went on trial with Scottish Premier League side Aberdeen. However, nothing came of it, and he continued playing in Portugal's second level, successively representing Madeira's C.F. União and C.F. Os Belenenses.
Jones only missed one league game in 42 for the latter in the 2012–13 campaign, helping it return to the top flight after three years. He made his debut in the competition on 18 August 2013, in a 0–3 home loss to Rio Ave FC.
- Vale reject Jones earns contract in Portugal; This Is Staffordshire, 18 August 2009
- Soccer Box Score; NEC, 11 November 2005
- Official Match Information; USL Soccer, 25 April 2009
- "Matthew Robert Jones é outro dos ajustes ao plantel para esta temporada" [Matthew Robert Jones is another roster adjustment for this season] (in Portuguese). Santa Clara's official website. 25 July 2009. Retrieved 3 November 2009.[dead link]
- "Portuguese football's lone Englishman rewarded for daring to be different". PortuGOAL. 3 November 2009. Retrieved 3 November 2009.
- "More new faces on show this morning". Aberdeen F.C. 27 June 2011. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- "Guarda-redes Matt Jones e avançado Tozé Marreco assegurados no União" [Goalkeeper Matt Jones and forward Tozé Marreco confirmed at União] (in Portuguese). Diário de Notícias. 30 June 2011. Retrieved 30 June 2011.
- "Bem-vindo de volta Belenenses" [Welcome back Belenenses] (in Portuguese). Palavras ao Poste. 26 February 2013. Retrieved 14 March 2014.