|2nd and 4th Commander of the American Nazi Party|
August 25, 1967
|Preceded by||George Lincoln Rockwell (2nd)
Frank Collin (4th)
|2nd & 4th Leader of the World Union of National Socialists|
April 9, 2009
|Preceded by||Colin Jordan|
August 25, 1967 – 1968
|Preceded by||George Lincoln Rockwell|
|Succeeded by||Colin Jordan|
|Born||Matthias Koehl Jr.
January 22, 1935
|Political party||National Renaissance Party
United White Party
National States' Rights Party
American Nazi Party (Current)
|Alma mater||University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee|
|Occupation||United States Marine, activist, politician|
|Linked to the Politics and elections series
and part of the Politics series on
Born on January 22, 1935, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to Hungarian immigrants of German descent, Koehl studied journalism at the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee and served in the U.S. Marine Corps. He joined James Madole's National Renaissance Party, the United White Party, and the National States' Rights Party before joining the American Nazi Party in 1960.
American Nazi Party/New Order
As deputy commander, in August 1967, Koehl succeeded the assassinated George Lincoln Rockwell as 'Commander' of the National Socialist White People's Party (which had been known until December 1966 as the American Nazi Party). Koehl renamed the organization "New Order" in 1983. Like Miguel Serrano, he was heavily influenced by the writings of Savitri Devi and is an advocate of esoteric Hitlerism, believing Hitler to have been a god-like being sent to rescue humanity – specifically the European peoples – from extinction. He was a very close friend of Florentine Rost van Tonningen.
Although maintaining a low public profile, Koehl granted an interview to mainstream writer William H. Schmaltz in Arlington, Virginia, in April 1996 during preparation of that author's biography of George Lincoln Rockwell.
- The Future Calls (1972)
- Some Guidelines To The Development Of The National Socialist Movement
- The Program of the National Socialist White People's Party (Cicero, IL: NS Publications, 1980)
- Faith of the Future (1995)
- American Fuehrer : George Lincoln Rockwell and the American Nazi Party by Frederick J. Simonelli ISBN 0-252-02285-8 and ISBN 0-252-06768-1
- Hate : George Lincoln Rockwell and the American Nazi Party by William H. Schmaltz ISBN 1-57488-171-X (review 1)
- Black Sun: Aryan Cults, Esoteric Nazism and the Politics of Identity by Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke, 2001, ISBN 0-8147-3155-4 (2)
- Hitler’s Priestess: Savitri Devi, the Hindu-Aryan Myth, and Neo-Nazism by Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke, 1998, ISBN 0-8147-3111-2
- Koehl's New Order webpage
- WHO IS HITLER? transcript of remarks by Matt Koehl
- Populism And Socialism In American Nazism, chapter five of American Nazism In The Context Of The American Extreme Right: 1960–1978 by Jim Saleam
- Pierce, Koehl and the National Socialist White People's Party Internal Split of 1970 by H. Michael Barrett
- THE KU KLUX KLAN AND THE AMERICAN NAZI PARTY: CASE STUDIES IN TOTALITARIANISM AND FASCISM by Betty A. Dobratz and Stephanie Shanks-Meile[dead link]
- Neo-Nazis: Longtime Hitlerian Activists on the Anti-Defamation League's website.
- Matt Koehl's FBI files, obtained under the FOIA and hosted at the Internet Archive: