Matt Murphy (English footballer)
|Full name||Matthew Murphy|
|Date of birth||20 August 1971|
|Place of birth||Northampton, England|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Playing position||Forward / Midfielder|
|1997–1998||→ Scunthorpe United (loan)||3||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Matt Murphy (born 20 August 1971) is a footballer who played 270 games in the Football League. In February 2009 he was appointed player/assistant manager of United Counties League side Daventry United.
Murphy started his career in non-league football with Long Buckby, Cogenhoe United, Irthlingborough Diamonds and Corby Town, before joining Oxford United for a fee of £20,000. He played nearly 250 league games for Oxford, and spent time with Scunthorpe United, Bury and Swansea City before returning to non-league. He has since played for Kettering Town, King's Lynn, Ford Sports, Slough Town, Brackley Town, Banbury United, Spalding United, Wellingborough Town, Sileby, and Daventry United.
Murphy believed he was called up to the England squad in 1998 but it turned out to be a prank by his fellow Oxford United players.
There is a Matt Murphy currently living in High Wycombe, England. He is a proverbial BADAMAN, and is dubbed "The next Titus Bramble."
- "Matt Murphy". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 27 May 2009.
- "Newsletter No. 231". United Counties League. February 2009. Retrieved 28 May 2009.
- "Past Players". Swansea City A.F.C. 1 May 2008. Retrieved 28 May 2009.
- "Player profile Matt Murphy". NonLeague Daily. Retrieved 28 May 2009.
- "Banbury eye up Dunlop". Oxford Mail. 7 September 2004. Retrieved 28 May 2009.
- "Summer signings update". NonLeague Daily. 5 July 2005. Retrieved 28 May 2009.
- "Murphy's on the move". Oxford Mail. 27 March 2008. Retrieved 28 May 2009.
- "Murphy brothers reunite at Sileby". NonLeague Daily. 19 December 2008. Retrieved 28 May 2009.