November 10, 1982 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|September 29, 2009 for the St. Louis Cardinals|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||13|
Pagnozzi attended Highland High School in Gilbert, Arizona and then Central Arizona College. Pagnozzi was drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 8th round of the 2003 June amateur draft, as the 245th pick overall.
St. Louis Cardinals
Pagnozzi made his professional debut with the New Jersey Cardinals of the New York-Penn League. By 2008, he had advanced to the Memphis Redbirds, the AAA affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. In September 2009, the Cardinals called him up to the big leagues as a September call-up. Matt Pagnozzi made his big-league debut on September 29, 2009, appearing as a pinch-hitter and drawing a walk. Pagnozzi hit his first major league home run on September 28, 2010 against the Pittsburgh Pirates.
On Wednesday September 14, 2011, Pagnozzi was claimed off waivers by the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Pirates had previously tried to acquire Pagnozzi in June 2011, after catchers Ryan Doumit and Chris Snyder went down with injuries. Those talks failed, and the Pirates instead received Michael McKenry from the Boston Red Sox. Pagnozzi is set be the 52nd player to appear in a game for the Pirates for the 2011 season, breaking the franchise record of 51 players set in 2010. The record amount of players to appear on the team is due to the large amount of injuries sustained by the team in 2011.
Pagnozzi signed a minor-league contract with the Cleveland Indians on December 2, 2011. His contract included an invitation to major-league spring training.
On December 4, 2012, Pagnozzi signed a minor league deal with the Atlanta Braves with an invitation to spring training. He was expected to provide depth at catcher and serve as a back-up to Gerald Laird while Brian McCann missed the month of April with injury, but Pagnozzi was passed on the depth charts due to the emergence of Evan Gattis. As a result, Pagnozzi spent the majority of the 2013 season with AAA Gwinnett.
Pagnozzi signed a minor league deal with the Milwaukee Brewers on December 4, 2013.
- Matt Pagnozzi at The Baseball Cube
- Box score Sept. 29
- Renck, Troy E. "Rockies consider adding pitcher Carl Pavano". Denver Post.
- "Jose Morales: Rockies place C Morales on 60-day DL". Rotoworld. Retrieved 17 June 2011.
- Rob Biertempfel (September 16, 2011). "Pirates kick tires on another catcher". Pittsburgh Tribune Review. Retrieved September 16, 2011.
- Rob Biertempfel (September 16, 2011). "Biertempfel: 52 play for Pirates". Pittsburgh Tribune Review. Retrieved September 16, 2011.
- O'Brien, David (December 4, 2012). "Braves sign catcher Pagnozzi for depth". Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- October 2013 minor league transactions
- Scout.com profile