September 4, 1987 |
Toronto, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight||220 lb (100 kg; 15 st 10 lb)|
|San Jose Sharks
|NHL Draft||26th overall, 2005
Matt Pelech (born September 4, 1987) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player currently with the San Jose Sharks of the National Hockey League (NHL). Pelech was a draft pick of the Calgary Flames, selected in the first round, 26th overall in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft and made his NHL debut in 2009 as a defenceman with the Flames. He has since switched to right wing and become known as an enforcer.
Pelech played four seasons in the Ontario Hockey League with the Sarnia Sting, London Knights and Belleville Bulls. In 2007, he was assigned to the Quad City Flames of the American Hockey League. He was recalled by the Flames on April 4, 2009, making his NHL debut that night against the Minnesota Wild. Pelech recorded his first career point, an assist, three nights later against the Los Angeles Kings. He joined the Abbotsford Heat for the 2009–10 season when the Flames relocated their AHL team. He was sidelined in January 2010 with a blood clot in his arm, an ailment team doctors initially feared was season ending. Pelech recovered in time to join the Heat for their playoff run, appearing in all 13 of the team's post-season games.
Pelech appeared in 59 games for the Heat in 2010–11, scoring 3 goals, 2 assists and adding 198 penalties in minutes (PIM). The Flames chose not to offer Pelech a new contract following the season, making him an unrestricted free agent. Pelech signed with the San Jose Sharks, spending the season with their AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks. He appeared in 59 games during the 2011–12 AHL season, where he scored eight points and had 168 PIM. He was an alternate captain in Worcester, and was voted the team's "unsung hero". Pelech, who was moved to the right wing and developed into an enforcer role in the Sharks organization, returned to Worcester for the 2012–13 season where he recorded seven points in 58 games and added a career-high 238 PIM. He also appeared in two games with San Jose.
The Sharks again re-signed Pelech to a one-year contract prior to the 2013–14 NHL season. Following a training camp in which he worked to prove he could be more than just a fighter, Pelech was initially assigned to the San Francisco Bulls of the ECHL, but was recalled to San Jose for the season opening game when the Sharks' coaching staff felt the team required a greater physical presence. He scored his first NHL goal – the game winner – against goaltender Roberto Luongo in a 4–1 victory over the Vancouver Canucks on October 10, 2013.
His younger brothers Michael (born 1989) plays in the ECHL for the Cincinnati Cyclones, and Adam (born 1994) plays in the OHL with the Erie Otters. They are nephews of Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis.
|2007–08||Quad City Flames||AHL||77||3||6||9||141||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||Quad City Flames||AHL||59||3||6||9||130||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||San Jose Sharks||NHL||2||0||0||0||7||—||—||—||—||—|
- Career statistics: "Matt Pelech player card". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
- "Wild keep desperate playoff hopes afloat as Flames stumble towards postseason". ESPN. 2009-04-03. Retrieved 2010-06-28.
- "Iginla has goal, assist; Flaems can clinch division with regulation win Tuesday". ESPN. 2009-04-06. Retrieved 2010-06-28.
- Granger, Grant (2010-05-16). "Pelech persevered through health scare". Abbotsford News. Retrieved 2010-06-28.
- "Matt Pelech profile". Hockey Hall of Fame. Retrieved 2012-08-26.
- Kinvig, Dan (2011-06-30). "Flames GM Feaster seeks veterans to make impact for Heat". Abbotsford News. Retrieved 2012-08-26.
- "San Jose Sharks Prospect Report". San Jose Sharks Hockey Club. 2013-01-23. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
- Pollak, David (2013-10-02). "San Jose Sharks call up Matt Pelech from San Francisco Bulls". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
- "Matt Pelech player card". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
- "Sharks Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Pelech". San Jose Sharks Hockey Club. 2012-07-16. Retrieved 2012-08-26.
- "Sharks stay unbeaten with 4-1 win over Canucks". ESPN. 2013-10-10. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
- Matt Pelech's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Matt Pelech's biography at Legends of Hockey
|Calgary Flames' first round draft pick