|Full name||Matthew Phillips|
|Date of birth||13 March 1991|
|Place of birth||Aylesbury, England|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Queens Park Rangers|
|2011||→ Sheffield United (loan)||6||(5)|
|2013–||Queens Park Rangers||30||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 16:08, 2 November 2013 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Matthew "Matt" Phillips (born 13 March 1991) is an English-born Scottish international professional footballer who plays as a winger for Queens Park Rangers. Born in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Phillips began his career at Wycombe Wanderers before a move to Blackpool, and has also had a spell on loan at Sheffield United. He has represented England at under-19 and under-20 level but has subsequently represented Scotland at senior level, qualifying through his grandparent's nationality.
Phillips signed for Wycombe Wanderers at the age of eight when he was spotted playing in a five-a-side tournament. Having progressed through Wycombe's junior sides, he made his first team debut as an 82nd minute substitute, a month after his seventeenth birthday, on 26 April 2008 in a 1–0 defeat to Notts County, the penultimate game of the 2007–08 season. His first start came a week later in the 2–1 win over Bradford City at Adams Park, in which he was voted man of the match by the Wycombe supporters.
After breaking into the first team during the previous season, Phillips signed his first professional contract in July 2008, a year before the end of his youth team scholarship. His first goal for the Chairboys came on 10 November 2008 in the 4–1 away win over AFC Wimbledon in the First Round of the 2008–09 FA Cup. His first league goal came on 6 December in the 3–2 away defeat to Aldershot Town.
Phillips went on to make a massive contribution to the Chairboys promotion from League Two in the 2008–09 season becoming a regular on either the left or right wing, impressing with his ability to take on defenders and to cut inside. He was also won the clubs two "Young Player of the Year" awards at the end of the season as well as the League Two "Apprentice of the Year".
Phillips was given the number 18 shirt for the 2009–10 season and continued his good form from the previous season, starting on both flanks. He made a total of 87 league and cup appearances for Wycombe scoring nine goals.
Phillips signed for Premier League club Blackpool on 31 August 2010 in an original £350,000 deal, rising to £700,000 for achieving specific criteria. Manager Ian Holloway stated that he had been tracking Phillips for "a long time", saying of him, "Young Matty looked really exciting at times. He was skipping past people like they weren't there and now I've got to get him in our shape and working within it. He is definitely one for not only the long-term future but the immediate future. I am getting quite excited about what he might be able to produce."
Phillips' first team debut came on 25 September in the 2–1 home defeat to Blackburn Rovers. Phillips came on as a substitute in the 84th minute, making an instant impact, scoring his first ever Premier League goal just seconds later. After the match Ian Holloway praised Phillips saying, "I thought he was terrific. He's only 19 and he's someone who I think will have a good future. He played in a different role and smacked one in like that. Hopefully there is a lot, lot more to come from that boy because he has got some bits and pieces that would grace any level of football." Of his debut and goal Phillips said: "I've dreamt of playing in the Premier League since I was a kid, so to play Premier League football is one thing, but to go out there and make a mark on it is another, so I'm delighted." He made his full-debut against Aston Villa at Villa Park, a performance which led manager Ian Holloway to describe him as "at times un-markable".
With first-team opportunities proving limited, Phillips agreed a months loan to Sheffield United in October 2011, making his début in the Steel City Derby a few days later. Phillips had a major impact in his month spell, scoring six goals in six appearances for the South Yorkshire club before returning to Bloomfield Road. Back in the Blackpool first team, Phillips scored a hat-trick in their Boxing Day 3–1 victory at Barnsley. He scored another hat-trick two weeks later, this time against Fleetwood Town in the FA Cup Third Round. Later that month Blackpool rejected a bid from Cardiff City, believed to be around £800,000, for the winger.
In the week before the start of the 2012–13 season Blackpool rejected a £5M bid for Phillips from newly promoted Premier League side Southampton. He then put in a transfer request, and after being left out of the opening day victory over Millwall on 18 August, he returned to action three days later, scoring the winning goal in a 2–1 home victory over Leeds United.
Queens Park Rangers
On 23 August 2013, Phillips signed for Queens Park Rangers on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee reported to be £5 million and was handed the number 7 shirt. He made his debut for the club on September 14, coming on as a first-half substitute for Junior Hoilett against Birmingham City. He scored his first goal for Queens Park Rangers on December 3, netting the final goal in a 3–0 win over Bournemouth. His second goal for the club came eleven days later, when he scored the first in a 2–0 win over his former club Blackpool. His third goal was an equaliser against Doncaster Rovers in a league match at Loftus Road. QPR went on to win 2–1.
In May 2010, after initially being named as a standby, Phillips was called into the England under-19 squad for their upcoming European Championship Elite Qualifying Round matches. On 26 May he made his debut against the Republic of Ireland, coming on as a 76th minute substitute for Jacob Mellis. Two days later he made his full debut and scored his first international goal in his next game against Bosnia and Herzegovina.
In July 2010, Phillips was named in England's 18-man squad for the European Under-19 Championship. He scored a final-minute equaliser against France to send England through to the semi-finals of the tournament.
In February 2011, Phillips made his debut for the England under-20s in a 2–1 defeat to France. In June 2011, he was named in England's 21-man squad for the Under-20 World Cup. He started all three of England's group stage games plus their final-16 game, a 1–0 loss to Nigeria.
In January 2012, it was suggested that Scotland manager Craig Levein had been monitoring Phillips progress, due to his eligibility through Phillips' Scottish grandparents. In February 2012, Levein duly called Phillips up to the Scotland squad to face Slovenia in a friendly; however, Phillips had to withdraw after suffering a hamstring injury.
- As of match played 31 August 2014
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other[A]||Total|
|Wycombe Wanderers||2007–08||League Two||3||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||3||0|
|Sheffield United (loan)||2011–12||League One||6||5||0||0||0||0||1||1||7||6|
|Queens Park Rangers||2013–14||Championship||21||3||1||0||0||0||0||0||22||3|
- A. ^ The "Other" column constitutes appearances and goals in the Football League Trophy and Football League play-offs.
- "Aylesbury football star Phillips snubs Three Lions for Tartan Army". The Bucks Herald. 25 February 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "Notts Co 1–0 Wycombe". Soccerbase. 26 April 2008. Retrieved 11 September 2010.
- "Wycombe 2–1 Bradford". Soccerbase. 3 May 2008. Retrieved 11 September 2010.
- "AFC Wimbledon 1–4 Wycombe". Soccerbase. 10 November 2008. Retrieved 11 September 2010.
- "Aldershot 3–2 Wycombe". Soccerbase. 6 December 2008. Retrieved 11 September 2010.
- "Deadline day latest". Blackpool F.C. 31 August 2010. Retrieved 2 September 2010.
- Canavan, Steve (5 September 2010). "Ollie backs new-boy to be star". Blackpool Gazette. Retrieved 11 September 2010.
- "Brett Emerton strikes to give Blackburn injury-time win at Blackpool". The Guardian. 25 September 2010. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- "Match Report: Blackpool vs Blackburn". Blackpool F.C. 25 September 2010. Retrieved 28 September 2010.
- "Ollie: Potential in Phillips". Blackpool F.C. 27 September 2010. Retrieved 28 September 2010.
- "Phillips' debut delight". Blackpool F.C. 27 September 2010. Retrieved 28 September 2010.
- "Blades capture duo". Sheffield United F.C. 14 October 2011. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- "Matt thanks Blades for time at Lane". The Sheffield Star. 11 November 2011. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Barnsley 1 – 3 Blackpool". BBC Sport. 26 December 2011. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- "Fleetwood 1 – 5 Blackpool". BBC Sport. 7 January 2012. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- "Cardiff City's bid for Blackpool winger Matt Phillips rejected". BBC Sport. 23 January 2012. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "Matt Phillips told to stay by Blackpool boss". BBC Sport. 18 August 2012. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Blackpool 2–1 Leeds". 21 August 2012. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Phillips completes £5m move to QPR on four-year deal". The Daily Mail. 23 August 2013. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "QPR sign Blackpool winger for undisclosed fee". 23 August 2012. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Phillips Gets England Call". Wycombe Wanderers F.C. 17 May 2010. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- "Phillips Makes England Debut". Wycombe Wanderers F.C. 26 May 2010. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- "Matt Scores On Full Debut". Wycombe Wanderers F.C. 28 May 2010. Retrieved 28 May 2010.
- "England Under-19s into Euro semi". BBC Sport. 24 July 2010. Retrieved 24 July 2010.
- "VIDEO: U20s sunk in Shrewsbury". The FA. 9 February 2011. Retrieved 4 July 2011.
- "World Cup squad announced". The FA. 29 June 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- "Scotland manager Craig Levein eyes Blackpool's Phillips". BBC Sport. 10 January 2012. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- "Charlie Mulgrew and Matt Phillips named in Scotland squad". BBC Sport. 21 February 2012. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- "Phillips and Bardsley withdraw from Scotland squad". BBC Sport. 27 February 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "Matt Phillips backs Scotland to recover from US defeat". BBC Sport. 28 May 2012. Retrieved 24 August 2013.
- "Matt Phillips". Soccerbase. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- "Spurs defender Kyle Walker wins PFA Young Player award". BBC Sport. 22 April 2012. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- Matt Phillips career stats at Soccerbase
- Matt Phillips player profile at blackpoolfc.co.uk
- Matthew Phillips official website
- ESPN Soccernet profile