5 November 1977
|Education||All Saints High School|
|Known for||BBC Sport Moto GP presenter and columnist|
Moto GP and Superbike work
Roberts has been working in MotoGP since 2001, initially as a writer and then as a commentator. Since 2005 he has expanded his portfolio within the paddock, producing press material for several teams and contributing articles to publications in the UK, Spain, Italy, Germany and the USA.
In 2009 Roberts shared Moto GP presenting duties with Suzi Perry who presented the European rounds, but Roberts took over for all rounds outside Europe. When handed the responsibility Roberts said "It's a bit different to pit-lane reporting. If I'm interviewing someone or talking to Suzi from the pit-lane then I'm not really thinking about the camera, but with presenting I'm talking straight to it and the people back home and I'm a bit nervous about that."
After the BBC's contract for MotoGP coverage was not renewed for 2014, Roberts joined Eurosport to anchor their coverage of the World Superbike Championship and the British Superbike Championship alongside James Haydon and fellow Huddersfield native James Whitham.
Roberts is a supporter of Huddersfield Town. In a Moto GP preview show Roberts interviewed champion racer Valentino Rossi over a game of table football. "I told Rossi beforehand that I was playing with my dream strike force of Gerrard, Gascoigne and Andy Booth. "He picked up on this and in the interview said that after Ibrahimovic, Andy Booth is the number two striker in the world."
- Gibson, Barry (13 April 2009). "Huddersfield's Matt Roberts now BBC Moto GP star". Huddersfield Examiner (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 10 November 2010. "Thirty-one-year-old Matt began working in MotoGP in 2000 when he netted a job with Dorna, holders of the global MotoGP rights, commentating on their world feed, which was broadcast in Australia, Africa and Asia"
- Jennie Gow replaces Suzi Perry in BBC line-up Crash.Net, 17 March 2010
- Jennie Gow to present BBC's MotoGP coverage for 2010 BBC Press Office, 17 March 2010
- "Matt Roberts will front MotoGP on BBC television". BBC Sport. 8 February 2011. Retrieved 8 February 2011.
- Booth, Mel (14 February 2014). "Huddersfield's Matt Roberts to present Eurosport's coverage of World and British Superbikes". Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- Matt Roberts interview with Valentino Rossi over table football BBC Sport, 12 April 2009