October 20, 1986 |
Warren, MI, USA
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13 st 3 lb)|
New Jersey Devils
Tampa Bay Lightning
Matthew Angelo Taormina (born October 20, 1986) is an American professional ice hockey defenceman playing for the Worcester Sharks in the American Hockey League (AHL). He most recently played for Springfield Falcons of the American Hockey League, while under contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was traded to Columbus on March 5, 2014
Taormina began his amateur career playing in the North American Hockey League with the Texarkana Bandits. Earning a place in the Second All-Star Team, the All-Rookie Team and winning the NAHL's Rookie of the year, Matt then committed to play collegiate hockey in the Hockey East with Providence College. With a selection to the Hockey East Second All-Star Team as a junior, Matt progressed to join the Binghamton Senators of the American Hockey League after completing his senior year at the end of the 2008–09 season.
As an undrafted Free Agent, Taormina was signed to an AHL contract for the 2009–10 season by the New Jersey Devils on August 20, 2009. Taormina scored 50 points in 75 games to lead the Lowell Devils in assists and signed a one-year contract extension with the Devils on February 26, 2010.
With an impressive training camp and with the advantage of familiarity under head coach John MacLean with Lowell, Matt opened the 2010–11 season on the New Jersey Devils roster. In his fifth game, Matt scored his first NHL goal on October 15, 2010, a powerplay goal, against Craig Anderson of the Colorado Avalanche in a 3-2 defeat.
In his second season with Tampa Bay, at the 2013–14 trade deadline, Tyrell was traded by the Lightning, along with Dana Tyrell, to the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for Jonathan Marchessault and Dalton Smith on March 5, 2014.
On September 26, 2014, the Worcester Sharks announced they had signed Taormina to a one year AHL contract.
|2010–11||New Jersey Devils||NHL||17||3||2||5||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||New Jersey Devils||NHL||30||1||6||7||4||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||2||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||7||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honors
|All-Hockey East Second Team||2007–08|
- "Devils sign 5 players to AHL contracts". New Jersey Devils. 2009-08-20. Retrieved 2010-10-19.
- "Rookie defenseman Matt Taormina won't forget his first goal for Devils". NJ.com. 2010-09-27. Retrieved 2010-10-19.
- "Devils lose to Avalanche 3-2, now 1-3-1 to start season". NJ.com. 2010-10-15. Retrieved 2010-10-19.
- "Lightning sign defenseman Matt Taormina". Tampa Bay Lightning. 2012-07-06. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Lightning shake up Crunch with trades of Tyrell, Taormina". Syracuse.com. 2014-03-05. Retrieved 2014-03-05.
- "Worcester Sharks sign defenseman Matt Taormina". Retrieved September 26, 2014.