Wagner at WonderCon 2009
October 9, 1961 |
|Area(s)||Writer, Penciller, Inker, Letterer, Colourist|
Wagner's first published comic book work was Comico Primer #2 (1982), which was the first appearance of Grendel. In addition to his creator-owned series' Mage and Grendel, he has also worked on comics featuring The Demon and Batman as well as such titles as Sandman Mystery Theatre and Trinity, a DC Comics limited series featuring Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman.
He has also produced numerous comics covers, including painted ones for Green Arrow.
- Grendel (Comico/Dark Horse, 1983-)
- Mage (Comico/Image Comics, 1984-)
- The Demon (DC, 1987)
- The Terminator: One Shot (graphic novel, with writer James Robinson, Dark Horse Comics, 1991)
- Batman: Faces serialized in Legends of the Dark Knight (DC, 1992)
- Sandman Mystery Theatre (DC, 1993 - 1998)
- Batman/Riddler: The Riddle Factory (DC, 1995)
- Doctor Mid-Nite (DC, 1999)
- Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity (art and script, DC, 2003)
- Batman and the Monster Men (DC, 2006)
- Batman and the Mad Monk (DC, 2006–2007)
- Zorro (Dynamite Entertainment, 2008-2010)
- Madame Xanadu (Vertigo, 2008–2010)
- Green Hornet: Year One (Dynamite Entertainment, 2010-2011)
- Zorro Rides Again (Dynamite Entertainment, 2011-2012)
- The Tower Chronicles (Legendary Comics, 2012-)
- 1988: Nominated for "Best Writer" Eisner Award, for Grendel
- Won "Best Finite Series/Limited Series" Eisner Award, for Grendel: War Child
- Nominated for "Best Writer/Artist" Eisner Award, for Legends of the Dark Knight: "Faces"
- Nominated for "Best Cover Artist" Eisner Award, for Legends of the Dark Knight: "Faces"
- Nominated for "Best Inker" Eisner Award, for Grendel: War Child
- 1995: Nominated for "Best Writer" Eisner Award, for Sandman Mystery Theatre
- Won "Best Anthology" Eisner Award, for Grendel: Black, White, and Red
- Won "Best Short Story" Eisner Award, for "Devil's Advocate" in Grendel: Black, White, and Red #1
- Nominated for "Best Writer" Eisner Award, for Grendel: Black, White, and Red
- Brian K. Vaughan (w), Fiona Staples (a). "Chapter Four" Saga 4: 28 (June 2012), Image Comics
- Shannon Appelcline (2011). Designers & Dragons. Mongoose Publishing. p. 75. ISBN 978-1-907702-58-7.
- Eury, Michael. "Wagner and Schutz: Creator Relations". Back Issue, Volume 1, Number 2 (February 2004), p 29.
- Renaud, Jeffrey (April 11, 2008). "Wagner Saws Madame Xanadu in Half with Vertigo". Comic Book Resources.
- Matt Wagner at the Grand Comics Database
- Matt Wagner at Lambiek's Comiclopedia
- Matt Wagner on Marvel.com
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matt Wagner.|
- Official website
- Matt Wagner at the Comic Book DB
- The Matt Wagner Gallery
- Matt Wagner Batman Gallery
- Podcast interview with Matt Wagner and Amy Reeder Hadley on 2008's Madame Xanadu
- Podcast with Matt Wagner on Grendel's 25th Anniversary at Ccomixology
- Interview with Matt Wagner (September 2006)
- Wagner Interview @ Legions of Gotham
- Matt Wagner on comics and the creative process, an interview with about-creativity.com August 26, 2007