Wagner at WonderCon 2009
October 9, 1961 |
|Area(s)||Writer, Penciller, Inker, Letterer, Colourist|
Wagner's first published comic book work was Comico Primer #2 (1982), which was the first appearance of Grendel. In addition to his creator-owned series' Mage and Grendel, he has also worked on comics featuring The Demon and Batman as well as such titles as Sandman Mystery Theatre and Trinity, a DC Comics limited series featuring Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. In 1991, he illustrated part of the "Season of Mists" story arc in Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series.
He has also produced numerous comics covers, including painted ones for Green Arrow.
- Grendel (Comico/Dark Horse, 1983-)
- Mage (Comico/Image Comics, 1984-)
- The Demon (DC, 1987)
- The Terminator: One Shot (graphic novel, with writer James Robinson, Dark Horse Comics, 1991)
- Batman: Faces serialized in Legends of the Dark Knight (DC, 1992)
- Sandman Mystery Theatre (DC, 1993 - 1998)
- Batman/Riddler: The Riddle Factory (DC, 1995)
- Doctor Mid-Nite (DC, 1999)
- Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity (art and script, DC, 2003)
- Batman and the Monster Men (DC, 2006)
- Batman and the Mad Monk (DC, 2006–2007)
- Zorro (Dynamite Entertainment, 2008-2010)
- Madame Xanadu (Vertigo, 2008–2010)
- Green Hornet: Year One (Dynamite Entertainment, 2010-2011)
- Zorro Rides Again (Dynamite Entertainment, 2011-2012)
- The Tower Chronicles (Legendary Comics, 2012-)
- 1988: Nominated for "Best Writer" Eisner Award, for Grendel
- Won "Best Finite Series/Limited Series" Eisner Award, for Grendel: War Child
- Nominated for "Best Writer/Artist" Eisner Award, for Legends of the Dark Knight: "Faces"
- Nominated for "Best Cover Artist" Eisner Award, for Legends of the Dark Knight: "Faces"
- Nominated for "Best Inker" Eisner Award, for Grendel: War Child
- 1995: Nominated for "Best Writer" Eisner Award, for Sandman Mystery Theatre
- Won "Best Anthology" Eisner Award, for Grendel: Black, White, and Red
- Won "Best Short Story" Eisner Award, for "Devil's Advocate" in Grendel: Black, White, and Red #1
- Nominated for "Best Writer" Eisner Award, for Grendel: Black, White, and Red
- Shannon Appelcline (2011). Designers & Dragons. Mongoose Publishing. p. 75. ISBN 978-1-907702-58-7.
- Eury, Michael (February 2004). "Wagner and Schutz: Creator Relations". Back Issue! (TwoMorrows Publishing) (2): 29.
- Bender, Hy (1999). The Sandman Companion. DC Comics. p. 266. ISBN 978-1563894657.
- Burgas, Greg (January 7, 2013). "Comics You Should Own – Sandman". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on April 10, 2014.
- Renaud, Jeffrey (April 11, 2008). "Wagner Saws Madame Xanadu in Half with Vertigo". Comic Book Resources.
- Matt Wagner at the Grand Comics Database
- Matt Wagner at Lambiek's Comiclopedia
- Matt Wagner on Marvel.com
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matt Wagner.|
- Official website
- Matt Wagner at the Comic Book DB
- The Matt Wagner Gallery
- Matt Wagner Batman Gallery
- Podcast interview with Matt Wagner and Amy Reeder Hadley on 2008's Madame Xanadu
- Podcast with Matt Wagner on Grendel's 25th Anniversary at Ccomixology
- Interview with Matt Wagner (September 2006)
- Wagner Interview @ Legions of Gotham
- Matt Wagner on comics and the creative process, an interview with about-creativity.com August 26, 2007