|Born||Matthew Lee Welch
July 31, 1968
|Occupation||Journalist, political commentator|
Matthew Lee "Matt" Welch (born July 31, 1968) is an American blogger, journalist, and libertarian political pundit. Since 2008, he has been the editor-in-chief at the monthly libertarian journal, Reason. From 2006 to 2007, he was an editorial page editor for the Los Angeles Times. In the late 1990s, he wrote for Tabloid.Net, along with Tim Blair and Ken Layne, now a writer for Gawker.
He has written a portrayal of 2008 Republican presidential nominee John McCain, from a libertarian perspective. In McCain: The Myth of a Maverick, Welch argues that a McCain presidency would advance a statist agenda. Through a FOIA request, Welch obtained a copy of McCain's War College thesis which, based on his experience as a POW, argued for the teaching of US foreign policy to military recruits."
He has also researched the effects of UN sanctions against Iraq, often criticizing the reporting of others. Commentator Mike Rosen praised his research as "yeoman's work." Welch earned the award for "Best Entertainment Review/Criticism/Column" in the 53rd Annual Southern California Journalism Awards, hosted by the Los Angeles Press Club, for his work, "Bailing Out Big Brother: Media criticism goes from rebelling against media oligarchs to handing them a lifeline."
In 2011 Matt Welch published The Declaration of Independents: How Libertarian Politics Can Fix What's Wrong with America with Reason.tv Editor Nick Gillespie.
- Welch, Matt. "Reason magazine articles". Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- Matt Welch - A Libertarian Critique of John McCain (2008-02-01). "Matt Welch - A Libertarian Critique of John McCain Video". Mefeedia.com. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- ""The Myth of a Maverick": Matt Welch on GOP Frontrunner John McCain". Democracy Now!. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- "Reason Magazine - Staff > Matt Welch > Hit & Run Posts". Reason.com. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- McCain (0230603963) WELCH - Palgrave Macmillan. Palgrave-usa.com. 2006-11-06. Archived from the original on ?. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- "The Myth of a Maverick, by Matt Welch". Ontheissues.org. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- "BuzzFlash Review: McCain: The Myth of a Maverick (Hardcover)". Buzzflash.com. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- "W. James Antle III on McCain: The Myth of a Maverick on National Review Online". Article.nationalreview.com. 2007-11-29. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- "Bill Moyers Journal . Mickey Edwards and Matt Welch on McCain | PBS". PBS<!. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- Kirkpatrick, David D. (2008-06-15). "In ’74 Thesis, the Seeds of McCain’s War Views". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-06-27.
- "Reason Magazine - The Politics of Dead Children". Reason.com. Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- Welch, Matt (2002). "Iraqi death toll doesn't add up". National Post. Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- "The Iraqi babies scam is still alive". Archived from the original on 2003-09-04.
- Rosen, Mike (2002-03-15). "U.S., U.N. not to blame for deaths of Iraqis". Rocky Mountain News. Archived from the original on 2002-04-14.
- "Halos Heaven. Your Angels Blog.".
- Current page at the Reason magazine site
- Professional autobiography at blog
- Interview at democracynow.org
- Video with his reaction to McCain candidacy
- Video discussions and interviews on Bloggingheads.tv