Matt Williams (American football)
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||160 lb (73 kg)|
Matt Williams (born in Weatherford, Texas) is a former walk-on place kicker for the Texas Tech Red Raiders football team. Williams was offered the position, two other players having failed to succeed for the team at that point, after winning a year's worth of free rent in a place-kicking contest at one of the Red Raiders games.
Williams attended Weatherford High School in Weatherford, Texas, where he played soccer and football. In football, he played both wide receiver and kicker. His signature moment as a kicker occurred when he kicked a 49-yard field goal through the uprights to defeat rival Mineral Wells High School in overtime. He graduated from Weatherford in 2006.
After two years at Tarleton State, Williams transferred to Texas Tech. During halftime of Tech's September 20, 2008, football game against the University of Massachusetts, Williams entered a promotional contest in which he made a 30-yard field goal. He caught the attention of head coach Mike Leach, who liked the fundamentals he used on the kick. Leach wanted him on the team, and although it was initially thought he would not be immediately eligible, the NCAA granted a one-time exception based on the specific circumstances. He was allowed to play immediately as he had not been recruited by Tarleton State and also because he was never a scholarship player. However, the season he played on Tarleton State's squad counted toward his eligibility, making him a sophomore during his first year at Tech. He also had to reject the free rent he won in the contest in order to remain eligible.
- Hairopoulos, Kate (2008-11-22). "Texas Tech kicker taking an unlikely road to stardom". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved 2008-11-22.
- Carlton, Chuck (2008-10-25). "Tech's walk-on kicker perfect on nine PATs". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved 2008-11-11.
- "Sweetwater Reporter - Student who won contest might kick for Texas Tech". Sweetwaterreporter.com. October 25, 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-02.[dead link]
- http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/12/31/60minutes/main4694714.shtml60 Minutes feature on Mike Leach
- "No headline - FOX Sports - Article". Sports.mobile.msn.com. Retrieved 2008-12-02.
- Hairopoulos, Kate; Carlton, Chuck (2008-10-29). "Walk-on Texas Tech kicker's role might expand". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved 2008-11-11.
- Williams, Don; Walker, Jeff (2008-10-31). "Red Raiders Football Notebook 10-31-2008". Retrieved 2008-10-31.
- "Same drill on choosing the Texas Tech kicker, Leach says | Texas Tech Red Raiders News | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News". Dallasnews.com. November 5, 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-02.