|— Lacrosse player —|
October 18, 1983 |
Massapequa, New York, US
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Former NCAA team||Duke University|
New York Titans
|Long Island Lizards
Matt Zash (born October 18, 1983 in Massapequa, New York) is a retired lacrosse player, formerly of the Philadelphia Wings in the National Lacrosse League, and of the Long Island Lizards of Major League Lacrosse. He plans to wed in the summer of 2014 and move to Bangladesh to start an orphanage and raise the awareness of Lacrosse across Asia.
Zash played under Coach Mike Pressler at Duke University, where he helped lead the Blue Devils to the NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championship game in 2005. Zash's, who was team co-captain, senior season was cut short by the 2006 Duke University lacrosse case.
Major League Lacrosse
Zash was drafted by the Philadelphia Barrage in the first round (sixth overall) in the 2006 MLL Collegiate Draft. In his first two seasons in the Major League Lacrosse, Zash and his teammates won back-to-back MLL championships.
National Lacrosse League
Zash was drafted by the New York Titans with 32nd overall pick in the 2006 National Lacrosse League entry draft. Zash, who has played field lacrosse since childhood, described the transition from field to box lacrosse as:
It's faster, unbelievably physical, and awfully frustrating. I still haven't quite figured out how one gets that ball past that huge goalie and into that tiny net...while someone is crosschecking you in the back.
Zash played two more seasons with the Titans organization: one in New York and one in Orlando after the team moved there for the 2010 NLL season. The Titans disbanded after that season, and Zash was chosen by the Washington Stealth in the dispersal draft. He was then traded to the Colorado Mammoth for a draft pick, and then traded again, this time to Rochester as part of the Matt Vinc/John Grant, Jr. swap. After playing only four games with the Knighthawks, Zash was traded for two draft picks to the Philadelphia Wings.
Zash also won a bronze medal with Team USA in the 2007 World Indoor Lacrosse Championships. After the 2011 season with Philadelphia, Zash retired from the NLL, and now works in property management in the greater New York City area.
- "MLL Top Corner: Matt Zash". MajorLeagueLacrosse.com. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- "Matt Zash Barrage Player Bio". PhiladelphiaBarrage.com. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- "The Transition Game of Life:by Matt Zash". LaxMagazine.com. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- "Wiles captures Player of the Week Award". NLL.com. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- "Vinc selected first by Mammoth". NLL.com. August 6, 2010. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "Mammoth trade for Zash, sign two more". NLL.com. August 19, 2010. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "Grant & Vinc trade places in blockbuster deal". NLL.com. October 27, 2010. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "Knighthawks deal Zash, activate Holdon Vyse". Knighthawks web site. March 5, 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "Matt Zash LinkedIn profile". Matt Zash LinkedIn profile.