|Federal Secretary of Lega Nord|
15 December 2013
|Preceded by||Roberto Maroni|
|Member of the European Parliament|
13 July 2009
9 March 1973 |
|Political party||Lega Nord|
|Us with Salvini (2014-present)|
|Alma mater||University of Milan|
Matteo Salvini (born 9 March 1973, Milan, Italy) is an Italian politician and member of the European Parliament who has been the leader of the Lega Nord political party since December 2013 and of Us with Salvini since December 2014.
Salvini has been a member of Movimento Giovani Padani, Lega Nord's youth movement and deputy secretary of Lega Lombarda, along with Marco Reguzzoni. At the 1997 Padanian elections he was a candidate of the list Comunisti Padani (Padanian Communists).
He was elected a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) for the North-West region in 2004 and participated in the European Parliament as a part of the Non-Inscrits. He switched as a member of the Europe of Freedom and Democracy Group in 2009 before switching back to the Non-Inscrits in 2014.
He sat on the European Parliament's Committee on Culture and Education, and was a substitute for the Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety and a member of the Delegation to the EU-Chile Joint Parliamentary Committee. He stood down from the European Parliament in November 2006.
After he was re-elected in 2009 as an MEP, he sat on the Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection and is a member of the Delegation for Relations with India, and the Delegation for Relations with the Korean Peninsula. He is a Substitute on the Committee on International Trade and the Delegation for Relations with South Africa.
Head of Lega Nord
Since he took over leadership of the Lega Nord party in December 2013, he has "all but ditched Umberto Bossi's (never very convincing) Northern separatism" and shifted its focus to causes aligned with the European far right, represented by Marine Le Pen’s National Front of France such as being against illegal immigration and the euro.
Matteo Salvini posed semi-naked, for beneficence, in bed on the cover of Italian magazine Oggi, which printed more revealing photos inside the magazine to go with an interview about his "political ambitions and personal life".
- Djordjevic, David (April 2014). "Matteo Salvini: We are fighting against the centralism of Rome and Brussels". Geopolitika.
- Squires, Nick (16 December 2013). "Independence for northern Italy and an end to euro, says Northern League leader". The Telegraph.
- "Your MEPs: Matteo SALVINI". Europa. European Parliament. Retrieved 5 March 2011.
- "Move over, Silvio". The Economist. 25 November 2014.
- Rachel Sanderson; James Politi (December 2, 2014). "Italy’s new political star: Northern League leader Matteo Salvini". Financial Times.
- "Italy: Northern League leader in shirtless photo spread". BBC. December 4, 2014.
|This article about a Member of the European Parliament from Italy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|