Matteson-Phillips Tubajazz Consort
The group was formed in 1975 by Rich Matteson and Harvey Phillips as a way to make a unique contribution to the First International Brass Congress in Montreux, Switzerland, the following year. Other members included Ashley Alexander (trombone), Steve Harlos (piano), Jack Petersen (trombone and guitar), John Marcellus ( euphonium), R. Winston Morris (tuba), and Daniel Perantoni (tuba). The band played at the Adelaide Festival in Australia in February 1978 and at other venues in Australia, including the Sydney Opera House. They set attendance records at The Basement, a Sydney jazz club.
Tubajazz is a trademark of the Harvey Phillips Foundation, Inc., a New York not-for-profit corporation founded by Harvey Phillips in 1977 and is based in Bloomington, IN. The trademark was registered November 19, 1996, at the US Patent and Trademark Office.
- Euphonium: Rich Matteson, Ashley Alexander, John Allred, Buddy Baker, John Marcellus
- Tuba: Harvey Phillips, Daniel Perantoni, R. Winston Morris
- Piano: Tommy Ferguson, Dan Haerle, Steve Harlos, Frank Mantooth
- Guitar: Jack Petersen
- Jazz Bass: Lou Fischer, Billy Michaels, Rufus Reid, Kelly Sill
- Drums: Steve Hougton, Rick Kirkland, Ed Soph
Composers and arrangers
- Matteson-Phillips Tubajazz Consort - Live
- Tubajazz Superhorns
- Phillips, Harvey. "Goodbye Rich – We'll Miss You". Jazz Educators Journal 26 (2). Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- Matteson-Phillips TubaJazz Consort – Spoofy
- Matteson-Phillips Tubajazz Consort
- The Modern Jazz Tuba Project