Matthew 25: Ministries
|Matthew 25: Ministries|
|Type||501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization|
|Purpose/focus||Humanitarian Aid & Disaster Relief|
|Founder & President||Reverend Wendell Mettey|
Matthew 25: Ministries is an international humanitarian aid and disaster relief organization headquartered in Cincinnati, OH. Matthew 25: Ministries provides humanitarian aid and disaster relief to the poor throughout the US and around the world. Matthew 25 collects excess products from corporations and manufacturers as well as the general public and ships these donations to those in need.
Matthew 25: Ministries’ mission is based on Matthew 25:34-40. Matthew 25: Ministries provides food, water, clothing, shelter, medical care and humanitarian supplies to the poor. Matthew 25 supports education by shipping school supplies to children and providing micro-enterprise opportunities for adults.
Seeing the poverty there, Pastor Mettey felt he needed to find a way to help the people of Nicaragua. He was able to develop a system to collect and redistribute food, clothing, personal care, cleaning, medical and educational supplies which were no longer useful by US standards.
Since 1991, Matthew 25 has established partners throughout the United States and around the world. Matthew 25 has grown from a small group of individuals carrying supplies in suitcases to an international humanitarian aid and disaster relief organization distributing over 13,000,000 pounds of products around the world each year. In 2012, Matthew 25 surpassed one billion dollars in aid shipped around the world since 1991.
Matthew 25: Ministries' primary distribution program is "Caring For a Needy World With the Things We Throw Away." Through this program, Matthew 25 distributes clothing, medical supplies, personal care items, school supplies, food and beverages, household supplies, cleaning products, reblended paint and micro-enterprise supplies. In addition to providing ongoing humanitarian aid, Matthew 25: Ministries has developed a number of programs designed to meet specific needs throughout the US and worldwide:
- Matthew 25’s "Food Processing Center" produces a shelf-stable, nutritionally enhanced rice/soy blend for $.10 a meal.
- Matthew 25’s "Grow Right Micronutrient Supplement" enhances children’s nutritional health by providing 15 micronutrients in a powdered drink formula.
- Matthew 25’s "Write Your Future" program supports education through the manufacture of school notebooks and the packaging of Education Kits for children.
- Matthew 25’s "Fill Center" repackages detergent and soap into ready-to-use liquid products.
- Matthew 25's "Rainbow Paint Reblending Program" collects and reblends latex paint from municipalities, environmental companies, paint manufacturers, painting contractors, paint & hardware stores and individuals and redistributes it to underdeveloped areas and to developing countries.
- Matthew 25’s "Building a New Life" program supports the construction of houses and the development of communities in Nicaragua and Haiti.
- Matthew 25’s "Disaster Relief Services" provide relief, recovery and rebuilding support to areas effected by natural disasters.
- Matthew 25’s "Global Village Experience" is a three-dimensional replica of a third world village and shows the living conditions and lifestyle of the poor. In January 2013, Matthew 25 expanded the Global Village Experience to more accurately portray living conditions around the world with a specific focus on American Indian reservations, Appalachia, and a developing country garbage dump. Matthew 25 also incorporated the devastating effects of natural disasters by adding life-size displays of floods, tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricanes and other disasters to which Matthew 25: Ministries has responded.
Matthew 25: Ministries relies on volunteers to assist in their work. The majority of the donated goods received are evaluated, sorted, and processed by volunteers in preparation for shipment to various parts of the world.
Matthew 25: Ministries and Disasters
Disaster Response: Matthew 25: Ministries works with partners in the affected areas in order to assist those in need.
Disaster Support Process: Matthew 25: Ministries ships pre-sorted, pre-processed, requested items that are appropriate and needed to the disaster area. This ensures that the products will bring relief to the victims instead of creating additional work for the responders in the area. According to UNDRO (United Nations Disaster Relief Organization), "The impulsive generosity of governments, organizations, and individuals alike can cause as much chaos and confusion as the disaster itself."
Natural Disaster Relief: Matthew 25: Ministries has responded to a variety of natural disasters including: Hurricane Katrina, the 2010 Haiti earthquake, the 2011 Japan earthquake and tsunami, the 2012 Colorado wildfires and Hurricane Sandy.
Matthew 25: Ministries maintains the following professional affiliations and associations:
- United States Agency for International Development
- Ohio Association of Nonprofit Organizations
- Greater Cincinnati Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Blue Ash Business Association
- Independent Charities of America/Charities Under 1% Overhead
- Combined Federal Campaign/Multiple State Combined Charitable Campaigns
- The Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance Standards.
- Matthew 25: Ministries is ranked highly on Forbes' list of the 20 Most Efficient Large Charities in the US.
- "Bible Gateway". Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- Matthews, Kimmo. "Spanish Town Schools Get Educational Supplies from Charity Groups". Jamaica Observer. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- Lyghtel Rohrer, Barbara. "Save the World and Pay the Light Bill". Cincinnati Magazine. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- Houck, Jeanne. "Matthew 25: Ministries gives aid to Missouri and Alabama – and receives top award". Cincinnati.com. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- "Matthew 25: Ministries Celebrates Landmark Achievement". pr.com. Retrieved 4 February 2013.
- Lambers, William. "Fighting Hunger: An Interview with Joodi Archer of Matthew 25: Ministries". Yahoo Voices. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- Curnutte, Mark. "Locals Still Lend Big Hand to Haiti". Cincinnati.com. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- May, Lucy. "Matthew 25: Ministries Takes Firms’ Unwanted Goods". Business Courier. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- kkinley. "Matthew 25: Ministries Celebrates 20 Years of Service". Fox 19 Eastside. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- Young, Amanda. "Matthew 25: Ministries to Send Colorado Wildfire Disaster Relief". WLWT. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- Datta-Ray, Sunanda K. "The World Needs a Strengthened Disaster Agency". The New York Times. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Wegener, Scott. "Matthew 25: Ministries Keeps Up With Disaster Demands". WCPO.com. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Peagler, Annette. "Matthew 25: Ministries Travels to Haiti to Help Survivors". WCPO.com. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Wood, Emily. "Local Volunteers Provide Disaster Relief to Victims in Japan". Fox 19. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- "Local Group to Send 50 Truckloads of Aid to Sandy Victims". wcpo.com. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- "Better Business Bureau". Better Business Bureau. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "20 Most Efficient Large US Charities". Forbes Magazine. Retrieved 17 July 2012.